CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

• 1.  TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 10, 2016 11:07 AM

Hello all,

I i have issues re-configuring SDM 14.1 as I keep having the above error message. I have my application running on WinSer2012 and my database also on WinSer2012 both on different servers.

I checked through the log file but couldn't find something close to resolution for me.

Any useful help will be appreciating.

Warm Regards,

• 2.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 10, 2016 02:40 PM

Hi Amosu,

For something like this, we would have to dig in and find out the reason why it wont start properly.  Your best bet for this type of issue is to open a support case so one of us can look at it with you to figure out whats going on that is preventing the startup from completing.

Its very hard to say the reason for this as there are many contributing factors - everything from networking, to db, to logins etc. can contribute to this type of symptom.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:15 AM

Hello Jon,

Good morning and trust this email meets you well.

Really appreciate your prompt response.

Unfortunately, my company is in process of renewing the support agreement with CA Support and as such we aint getting support from CA currently.

I have attached the config file here for use.

Please assist in checking this and advise further.

Warm Regards,

Amosu

• 4.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:30 AM

Hello Jon,

Good morning and trust this email meets you well.

Really appreciate your prompt response but unfortunately my company is in process of renewing the support agreement with CA Support and as such we aren’t getting support from CA currently.

I have attached the config file here for use.

Please assist in checking this and advise further.

Warm Regards,

Amosu

Attachment(s)

zip
    configure.0.zip   844 B 1 version
    zip
    configure.log.zip   13 KB 1 version

• 5.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:58 AM

Hi Amosu,

check the content of the table usp_servers in your MDB, it seems that there is a problem with a server name in this table.

in the log you can find a error that this table cannot be updated.

In the query that is fails to execute the name of the server is 'ServiceDesk'

• 6.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 07:58 AM

Hello Alek,

Good day and thanks for your input.

Kindly find attached the output of the usp_server.

Please advise further.

Warm Regards,

• 7.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 08:14 AM

try to change the value of the del column to 0 and then to start the engine

• 8.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 08:33 AM

One more tip, pay attention what you have enter as a primary server name in configuration tool.

In usp_server table name of your server is a ITCM and configuration tries to update server with local_host='ServiceDesk'

• 9.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 12, 2016 07:42 AM

Hello Alek,

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

After I updated the usp_server table name with local_host='ServiceDesk' and ran the pdm_config again, the installation completed without and error.

But when I launched the Service Desk Manager, it gave the attached error.

Thanks and Regards,

• 10.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi Amosu,

The configure.log has the following error:

10/10 15:05:55.450 WARN StartServicesTask.java 85 Failed to start CA Service Desk Manager service(s).
    10/10 15:05:55.450 WARN TaskMediator.java 376 Start CA Service Desk Manager: Task failed (Start CA Service Desk Manager). Continue?

So try the following:

Launch CMD with Administrator account and then run pdm_configure.

OR 

Run pdm_configure and select the option not to start the services as part of the configuration. Once the pdm_configure has finished, try to start the services manually. Just make sure you do all this with Administrator account.

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 11.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 07:44 AM

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your input.

I have done the advised steps before now but error keeps coming when I try starting the service manually.

"The CA service Desk Manager Server service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".

Awaits further suggestions.

Warm Regards,

Amosu

• 12.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 07:55 AM

Do you have Antivirus running on the Service Desk server?

• 13.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Amosu,

I'd suggest checking on couple of items.

1) check your task manager to see if there is a process called sslump_nxd  already running from a previous improper startup.  If so, try rebooting and do pdm_configure again to see if that helps

2) pdm_configure -z     will give some debug into configure.log  that is useful.   Apart from that SDM's stdlog will give us good clues too.

Without the above, it'll be a guessing game to find out why its erroring out.

_R

• 14.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )

Posted Oct 11, 2016 11:49 AM

Hello Raghu,

I checked the task manager and the sslump_nxd was running.

Please, find attached the logs.

Thanks and Regards,

Attachment(s)

zip
    configure.log.zip   109 KB 1 version
    zip
    stdlog.0.zip   48 KB 1 version

• 15.  Re: TASK FAILED (START CA SERVICE DESK MANAGER )
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 11:59 AM

Thanks Amosu, this helped.

10/11 16:36:13.433 DEBUG ?                        ? Executing command: pdm_options_mgr.exe

10/11 16:36:13.553 DEBUG ?                        ? 'F:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

10/11 16:36:13.553 DEBUG ?                        ? operable program or batch file.

10/11 16:36:13.817 DEBUG Task.java              239 inside initErrMap() generic. This method should be overloaded if possible

10/11 16:36:13.817 INFO  ConfigThread.java      589 Configuration progress : 19 out of 24 tasks completed.

10/11 16:36:13.817 INFO  ConfigThread.java      549 Executing task# 20, task name : Update Miscellaneous data

10/11 16:36:13.817 INFO  Task.java              214 Running: Update Miscellaneous data

10/11 16:36:13.817 INFO  UpdateMiscDataTask.java    95 ## loading F:\Program Files (x86)\CA\Service Desk Manager\data\upd_usp_servers_load.dat with (-u) options.

Because of the data loads failing, the needed usp_servers  records are not present and that's why SDM's failing during startup - database check phase.

10/11 16:37:25.75 ServiceDesk    proctor_ServiceDe    4684 SIGNIFICANT  pdm_process.c          572 Process Started (4724):"F:/Program Files (x86)/CA/Service Desk Manager/bin/confirm_db"

10/11 16:37:26.49 ServiceDesk    confirm_db           4724 SIGNIFICANT  ntservice.c            311 Command return non-zero exit code. Command: redirect -m "C:\Windows\TEMP\tmp56" "C:\Windows\TEMP\tmp57" "F:/Program Files (x86)/CA/Service Desk Manager/bin/sql_check_db"   -c -s ServiceDesk >"C:\Windows\TEMP\tmp56" 2> "C:\Windows\TEMP\tmp57" . Exit Code: 10

10/11 16:37:26.58 ServiceDesk    pdm_proctor_nxd      5764 SIGNIFICANT  STDIO                    0 AHD50050:DB confirmation failed. Reason: AHD50060:Database check FAILED.

10/11 16:37:26.58 ServiceDesk    pdm_proctor_nxd      5764 SIGNIFICANT  STDIO                    0 AHD50051:Server shutdown requested.

10/11 16:37:26.58 ServiceDesk    confirm_db           4724 SIGNIFICANT  api_misc.c             585 Requesting shutdown of system. Reason (AHD50060:Database check FAILED. )

Unfortunately, the resolution is not a simple one.  Reinstallation of SDM is needed AFTER you enable Windows 8.3 file naming support on the F:  drive.  

https://communities.ca.com/message/241806796?commentID=241806796#comment-241806796

http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec589533.html

https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/14-1/en/implementing/implementing-ca-service-management-14-1/step-4-install-or-upgrade/implementing-ca-service-desk-manager/how-to-install-ca-sdm/step-1-plan-your-ca-sdm-installation/installation-considerations#InstallationConsiderations-GeneralConsiderationsforCASDM

_R