Release Automation

• 1.  Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:03 AM

Hey,

is there a way to move all agents to a different execution server other then doing it by changing the nimi config on the server itself?

I'm asking because we're looking into an infrastructure change which will lead to a new CA-RA set up including management and execution server, but of course the agents stay the same, so I need to connect them from the old execution server to the new one.

I currently don't know any other way then setting the execution server in the nimi config of the agent

thanks

Michael

• 2.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:40 AM

Hi

There is option

As I remember Open ASAP studio --> administrations --> agents management.

Select multiple agents and with right click you will have option to change execution server.

Thanks

Jacky 

• 3.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:45 AM

Hey Jacky,

yeah there is, cool. The only problem though is, that it seems like it only lists the execution servers connected to the management server.

So we probably would need to do it like this:

- Install Execution Server on new Server and connect it to the old Management Server

- Assign all Agents to the new Execution Server

- Change nimi config of the new Execution Server to be now connected to the new Management Server

a bit tricky, but seems like a better way then changing all nimi configs on the agents

best regards

Michael

• 4.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 09:12 AM

Hi Michael,

If Jacky's response answered your question then please do mark it as correct when you get a chance. Besides that I just wanted to clarify something you said. Regarding the "Change nimi config of the new Execution Server to be now connected to the new Management Server". For anyone who may not be aware I thought I would clarify that changing the nimi config on an Execution Server to point to a new management server would connect it to the execution server running on the management server. But it wouldn't necessarily change the management server that the execution server reports to. To do this you would need to open the ASAP UI for your new management server and add the new execution server.

Kind regards,
    Gregg

• 5.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 09:26 AM

Hi Gregg,

it didn't fully answer my question as this only solves it when I add a new execution server to an existing management server and would like to change the agents there.

But we do have a new management and new execution server, so I pointed out how I would go forth on doing it.

seems like though, that I miss a point, because you now just said, that simply changing the nimi config of an execution server isn't sufficient?

So I gladly take more input on that, how should I proceed to achieve my goal?

Here is the situation again:

- Current Situation:

-- 1 Management Server

-- 1 Execution Server

-- 170+ Agents

We want to set up a new management and new execution server and need those 170+ agents to be connected to the new execution server.

After jackies post I thought I do it like this, that I install the new execution server but connect it first to the old management server, switch all the agents via ASAP and then move the execution server to the new management server. I thought the moving of the execution server is done via its nimi config, but seems I'm wrong here?

thanks,

Michael

• 6.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 11, 2016 12:26 PM

Hi Michael,

Connections between Management and Execution server use http(s) and ActiveMQ, not nimi so no need to update nimi_config.xml of the Exec server.  Your best approach would be:

- Install new Execution server

- Open ASAP of the 'old' MS and add the new Exec Server through Administration => Agent Management

- Switch the agents from the old to the new Exec Server

- Remove the new Exec server from the old MS in ASAP

- Open ASAP of the new MS and add the new Exec server to the new MS

- Done

Hope this clarifies

Stefan

• 7.  Re: Way to move all agents to another Execution Server?

Posted Oct 12, 2016 01:54 AM

it does, thanks :-)