DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  What does this Error mean?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 02:57 PM

In my CA APM non-production environment,  I am seeing this error in the log on the MOM server..

I did a google search for the error and nothing comes up.  I know at some point late last year we had to follow this knowledge base article since we had the same symptoms:  http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1310095.html

10/11/16 11:32:02.615 AM EDT [ERROR] [btpool0-7] [Manager.AppMap] Internal Server Error happend during controller invocation!
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.wily.introscope.appmap.em.ontology.AppMapViewWithCache.findTransactions(AppMapViewWithCache.java:850)
            at com.wily.introscope.appmap.em.ontology.AppMapViewWithCache.getBusinessTransactions(AppMapViewWithCache.java:810)
            at com.wily.introscope.appmap.rest.controllers.TrendController.getFilterInputs(TrendController.java:231)
            at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor662.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
            at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:215)
            at org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:132)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:104)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandleMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:749)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:689)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:83)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:938)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:870)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:961)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:863)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
            at org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.service(FrameworkServlet.java:837)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:511)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:390)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:182)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:440)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:943)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:756)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
            at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
            at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)

• 2.  Re: What does this Error mean?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 03:02 PM

What was happening when this error occurred?  Were you engaging Team Center?  What version of EM do you have?

Also verify the connectivity from the EM to the DB.

• 3.  Re: What does this Error mean?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:01 PM

I believe the issue was from Team Center.  The error started after I restarted WebView.  After I posted this message, I realized Team Center was still open in my browser with a bunch of errors..  I closed the browser and went back into Team Center.  The error has not re-appeared..

• 4.  Re: What does this Error mean?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 04:51 PM

Ok I believe this may be due to a bug within Team Center that we had recently fixed.  Please open up a case with Support to have this looked into.  

• 5.  Re: What does this Error mean?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 05:03 PM

Hi Jeremy:   

Was Matt's answer helpful? Or do you wish to discuss further? Since the issue is not reoccurring at this time, it may not be worth pursing at the moment. If it does reoccur, then opening a case and see if there is a hotfix that resolves this is a good next action.

Please let us know and we will continue to help you in either case.

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: What does this Error mean?

Posted Oct 11, 2016 05:18 PM

Yes, it was helpful and I will monitor the logs to see if it comes back..  If it does, I will open a support ticket.  We are planning to upgrade to 10.3 in the near future.

• 7.  Re: What does this Error mean?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 11, 2016 05:30 PM

Thanks Jeremy. I will mark it as answered for now. Hopefully it does not reoccur or is fixed in 10.3.!

Hal German