Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtestport to

• 1.  Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtestport to

Posted Oct 12, 2016 01:05 AM

Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtest ?
    Can we avoid change in real systems in this case?

AB-->ABC-->ZW

normal record is like 

AB-->ABC-->LISA-->ZW

but we cannot change ABCto point to LISA since it is in use currently

can we use Agent installed in ABC to capture request/response in ZW and create vsm/vsi .

Please let me know its urgent in my project.

Thanks

Rohan Doshi

• 2.  Re: Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtestport to

Posted Oct 12, 2016 09:05 AM

Hi Rohan, a couple of thoughts are:

If application ZW is running on a supported platform and you have a CAI license, you could enable the agent to capture the webservice calls.  Keep in mind though that you need to bounce the App Server in order to add the CAI agent to the JVM.  This might be a non-starter since you say you cannot take the system(s) offline to make an endpoint change to point to the recorder.

Another option worth considering is to capture a pcap file of the traffic coming into/out of ZW.  If ZW is running on a Windows server, you can do this using a tool such as Wireshark.  If Linux or Unix, you might need to run tcpdump.  Using the .pcap file created by a tcp packet capture tool, use the create VS Image From PCAP option to build the service.

If ABC and ZW are using SSL, it will be more challenging because the payloads will be encrypted on-the-wire.  You can apply some configurations to Wireshark to identify the keystore to convert the request / response into clear text, but I have had difficulty with this setup in the past.  I have never tried SSL with tcpdump so I cannot say what the possibilities are. 

• 3.  Re: Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtestport to

Posted Oct 13, 2016 01:24 AM

Thanks Joel for the solution.

A bit clarification ,we need to install tcppacket capture tool OR Wireshark on where ZW application is installed ?

• 4.  Re: Can we do WebService Virtualization through Agents installed on application side without changing the endpoint in real application to point to Devtestport to
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 13, 2016 08:16 AM

Yes.  You would need to install a tool capable of generating a pcap file ( in .pcap file format ) on ZW.  

Once you capture the pcap and go into the Recorder wizard, you specify the Recorder's listen port = to the port that ZW was listening on for HTTP traffic from ABC. 

The Wizard uses that port number to locate the R/R traffic inside the pcap.