Clarity

• 1.  Auto numbering Project ID counts either when I do not save

Posted Oct 12, 2016 10:07 AM

Hi

When I set project id as an auto numbering field, and then create a new project; without saving number counts and it uses the next one. Why this numbering counts without saving, or is there a way to make it non-counting when we do not save? Also is it possible to reset it or delete unused ones?

Best regards.

• 2.  Re: Auto numbering Project ID counts either when I do not save

Posted Oct 12, 2016 10:59 AM

That is the way it works: As soon as you click create and the create properties opens a new number is assigned..

There is no way in the UI to reset the number.

The only thing you can do is turn it off before you start creating, but then your new item will not be autonumbered.

If you really want to reset the autonumbered items open a case with support and request a script.

How is that hurting you if you do not mind me asking.

• 3.  Re: Auto numbering Project ID counts either when I do not save

Posted Oct 12, 2016 11:16 AM

This cause empty numbers those not used really. 

• 4.  Re: Auto numbering Project ID counts either when I do not save

Posted Oct 12, 2016 11:49 AM

Maybe our experience will be helpful to someone reading this thread:

Q:  How is that hurting you?

A:  For us:  Minor, real minor – from the beginning of our use and close to zero, now.

It’s one of those little things that don’t matter much, but one wishes could be better, because it generates user/admin questions, and, sometimes wasted effort investigating a missing number to verify that it was never created vs. wrongly deleted.  After years of living with this, it’s a non-issue – and it was never a big issue.

I’d favor an improvement, but realize the solution is not so simple:  How to identify the reason for the missing ID before using it?

·         If ‘wasted’ during create process, then use

·         If deleted on purpose, say due to company retention policy, then don’t use.

If the improvement was out-of-the-box, I’d say “Thank you – though minor, the issue has been around for over a decade, customers still ask about it – finally improved.  Again, thank you.”

However, if I had to install/maintain/administrate a custom script, I’d say the cure is worse than the illness.

Can’t work on everything at the same time – this one wouldn’t make my list.  Put in the parking lot at best – maybe look at if/when a major upgrade of auto-numbering is ever considered.

We had people that thought this was a big issue – time has proven otherwise – we’re still in business!

Dale