Rally Software

• 1.  how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 01:16 PM
    Looking at the iteration burndown chart, where does the first point on the ideal burn down line come from?  Is that the total task est hours on the first day of the iteration?  We are seeing some confusing mismatches of data that we cannot quite explain.  thanks!

• 2.  Re: how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 01:29 PM
    Gina, that ideal burndown line is automatically calculated and displayed based on the amount of work left to do compared to the number of days remaining in the iteration.  Basically, how many hours of work are left to do.  

Please take a look at the Rally Help page on the Burndown chart for more info: 
    https://help.rallydev.com/progress-reports#iburndown

• 3.  Re: how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 01:34 PM
    This came up when one of our project managers noticed that for her iteration, on the first day, the ideal line value was 791, which I would take to be 791 hours estimated on the tasks in the iteration.  She could not find that there were ever 791 hours of task work estimated for the iteration.  So if that's the case, how is the 791 calculated?  Thanks again!

• 4.  Re: how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Jul 16, 2014 01:52 PM
    Found this bit on that Help article:
    Ideal burndown line

The starting point of the ideal burndown is pinned to the maximum task estimate value for the entire iteration.

It later says: "The line can also represent your to do hours. If your total to do is greater than your task estimate, the chart uses the greater value."

My guess here is that the TOTAL number of Estimated or To Do hours for the Iteration = 791. 

• 5.  Re: how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Nov 28, 2014 04:04 PM
    I have seen this happen to many teams in many organizations in many companies new to Rally.  What likely happened is that someone copied User Stories containing tasks in the current sprint.  Then, they modified those stories to their liking and scheduled them for a future Sprint.  This is VERY COMMON.  However, I cannot find 1 article that explains how to repair the that Maximum # of hours(aka Actual Burndown, Planned Burndown).  Rally, can you offer any suggestions on how to repair the data your algorithm uses to calculate that Max # of hours on the burndown chart?  Its as is if there a transaction history table of all tasks ever scheduled into a live Sprint.

• 6.  Re: how is the first point on the iteration burndown ideal burndown line calculated?

Posted Oct 26, 2016 10:04 AM

Necro-post: I also found this snippet in a previous case with a related issue: "Unfortunately there is no option to change the burndown ideal line. This has been set based on the past data, and we cannot change those, as they had been collected at the dates in question.
    If something like this happens for the whole project, the best option would be to leave this for the current iteration and make sure future iterations are entered correctly. That way at least the data is consistent during the iteration."