Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

SeshVeeraraghavan1363555

SeshVeeraraghavan1363555Nov 04, 2015 04:11 PM

• 1.  measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Sep 27, 2014 09:38 AM
    we use the kanban board app and have mapped US schedule states to a custom field as columns for more granular workflow understanding.
    How can we get the cycle time data not for the US schedule states but for the cycle time across the columns from the custom field?

• 2.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Sep 29, 2014 12:56 PM
    Hi Anthony, 

You have additional customization options on the Cycle Time by installing the App from the catalog.  Please follow this link (https://help.rallydev.com/use_apps) for help on adding an app.  Once you are in the catalog, you can select Cycle Time, and it will allow for selecting the states and also different time options.  Please take a look and let us know if you have additional questions. 

• 3.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 04, 2014 09:27 AM
    Hi Jeri, we use this one already, however the cycle time is only measuring on Schedule State field. I am after Cycle Time measuring on another field which we use to break down the default Schedule State into its sub processes. How can we measure these Cycle Times? This is important to help us understand the source of bottlenecks. Thank you

• 4.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 06, 2014 10:42 AM
    Hi Anthony, 

Unfortunately, this code foir this app is not provided, but you may be able to create an app yourself to do this work. We do have online help documentation available through our wiki at https://help.rallydev.com/app-sdk with information and examples to help get you started.

I would also recommend visiting Stackoverflow – it is a site where you may get some assistance with this.  The following link will take you to the area where developers who use Rally are active:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/rally

We do have a Technical Services team which offfers custom coding services.  If this is of interest, your Account Rep could work with you to create a statement of work and prepare a quote.  

• 5.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 11, 2014 09:23 AM
    Hello, Nik Antonelli gave me a solution from Rally called "Time Spent in State" which really should be a standard app for all Rally users... it's so incredibly useful! (not sure who from Rally wrote this app)
    One question I have about this Time Spent in State is that it shows the time spent in each of the custom field kanban states as well as showing the "state (ready)" which I assume is time spent in that state with the "Ready to pull" flag turned on.
    any time in that "state (ready)" would mean we aren't pulling that US card fast enough right?

• 6.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 13, 2014 01:10 PM
    Hi Anthony, I was able to check with the Author of this app.  Here's what he told me:  "Your assessment is correct if you use the ready flag for a card is ready for someone to pull into the next column.  A high value in ready probably means the next state to the right is a bottleneck.  In general, you should investigate what's going on when there's a high p50 (the solid bar) or a big variation (the top and bottom whiskers are far apart)."  If you have any other feedback or questions regarding this, we'd love to hear from you.  

• 7.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 13, 2014 01:59 PM
    perfect Jeri, as I thought.  Thank you for your help and please do suggest to have this app as a standard app, it's so good!

• 8.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Oct 26, 2014 05:05 PM
    Hi Jeri,
    We have been using as provided a custom app for cycle times.
    This was working fantastically until end of last week but is now not working (just showing a blank report instead). can you confirm what's changed and causing issues?
    Here is the code we are using as you provided.
    I have a 2 day workshop on our Cycle times with a Rally coach this thursday/friday so having this report is critical to us!
    (I tried to post as a new case on my account but salesforce integration kept breaking and not posting the case...)
    Thank you.

Anthony

• 9.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Jan 22, 2015 03:05 PM
    I am interested in this "Time Spent in State" report as we are wanting to track cycle times for various story states. Not just from In-Progress to Accepted. Can this be shared?

• 10.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Jan 22, 2015 03:10 PM
    Sure - happy to email you the details. What's your address?

• 11.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Jan 22, 2015 06:31 PM
    sounds good - please send to dio.rodriguez@sailpoint.com

• 12.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Feb 20, 2015 10:29 AM
    Hello Anthony, 

Much appreciated if you could also send me the 'Time Spent in State' report details. My email is doferrell@bbandt.com

Thanks    

• 13.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Feb 23, 2015 10:53 PM
    Hi Anthony,

Would really appreciate it if you can share your code with me too. I've been looking for something like this too. My email is kerri_white@bnz.co.nz (mailto:kerri_white@bnz.co.nz)

• 14.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Mar 27, 2015 06:08 AM
    Hi the 'Time Spent In State' Report is also something I've been searching for. If I can get the details too that would be much appreciated "snewman@webroot.com" Thanks a lot in advance.

• 15.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted May 11, 2015 12:47 PM
    This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. If you can share the code for 'Time Spent in State' with me I would appreciate it, I can be reached at spotter@meridianks.com. Thanks in advance.

• 16.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Aug 06, 2015 11:33 AM
    I'd also much appreciate being able to use the "Time Spent in State" report. If it's still available to share I can be reached at andrew.annett@d2l.com. Thanks!

• 17.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Aug 06, 2015 12:19 PM
    Add me to this list, please! seshadri.veeraraghavan@ihs.com
    Thanks much!
    Sesh

• 18.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Sep 15, 2015 11:32 AM
    I would love to have this as well, a coworker asked me for this just this morning.  thomas.guarino@e-hps.com

• 19.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Sep 21, 2015 12:30 PM
    Can I also have this app? Much appreciated! mkazgan@itriagehealth.com

• 20.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Sep 23, 2015 12:53 PM
    I'd also like to receive the code for the "Time Spent in State" report.  My email is hass.howard@aexp.com

• 21.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Nov 04, 2015 11:37 AM
    Hi Anthony -- wondering if you saw the above requests for the "Time Spent in State" app?  I know these other folks would LOVE if you could share it with them!  Thanks!!

• 22.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Nov 04, 2015 03:51 PM
    Here's a link to the code:  https://rallycommunity.rallydev.com/06914000005DJITAA4  Please note, this is not a supported or Rally supplied app, but you're welcome to use it!  Hope this helps!

• 23.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Nov 04, 2015 04:11 PM
    This is great - thanks!

• 24.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Nov 04, 2015 07:04 PM
    Jeri this is awesome!

Thanks a lot!!!
    Mehmet

• 25.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Nov 05, 2015 10:17 AM
    Also found this: https://github.com/wrackzone/cycle-time-by-state
    Haven't tried it out but it looks quite promising.

• 26.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app

Posted Apr 28, 2016 10:31 PM
    I'd also like to receive the code for the "Time Spent in State" report.  My email is john.magnifico@cba.com.au

• 27.  Re: measuring cycle time of a custom field as columns in kanban board app
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 29, 2016 03:39 AM
    Hi guys, we now have a revised app, letting you select different states and selectable values for those states, and importantly range of dates rather than the previous "last xx days"
    I know Nik is revising how it pulls data from Rally and to improve conditions for accuracy of absolute values but it should still demonstrate the trends as is.

https://github.com/nikantonelli/TimeInState

If you like this one help us feedback so it makes it a standard app... It is s!