Rally Software

• 1.  How to find unused tags in workspace?

Posted Apr 14, 2015 09:33 AM
    We have over 1700 tags in our workspace. As a subscription admin, I'd like to archive or delete those that aren't being used by any artifacts, either because they were added by accident, or were used for past projects. 

Is there an easy way to get a list of tags and a count of how many artifacts are associated with them? The only solution I have is to query against every artifact in the entire workspace and record which tags are assigned to each. Obviously this would be very taxing on the Rally servers and was hoping for a more elegant solution, potentially going in the other direction (query the 1700 tags instead of querying the > 300,000 artifacts).

Any cool ideas?

• 2.  Re: How to find unused tags in workspace?

Posted May 22, 2015 12:06 PM
    Hey Andrew, I haven't found any way to do this as of yet.  Have you had any luck since this post?

• 3.  Re: How to find unused tags in workspace?

Posted May 22, 2015 02:17 PM
    Thanks for following up John. Unfortunately not yet. Some higher priority items came up so I haven't been able to put much time into this. If/when I do, I can follow up via this post.

• 4.  Re: How to find unused tags in workspace?

Posted May 22, 2015 04:46 PM
    Sounds good.  I'm not really great at this sort of thing, but it seems to me that you might have to do something like pull a list of all Artifacts that DO have a tag -- Artifact: (Tags.ObjectID != "") , then put those against all tags.  Then you might have a rudimentary way of identifying which tags are unused.  

Not an elegant solution, but it is something! :)

• 5.  Re: How to find unused tags in workspace?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 16, 2015 06:25 PM
    I am facing the same chore and found this thread.  Our teams got tag-happy and now we have a bunch of junk or obsolete tags.  It looks like the Excel export is the best way to attack this.  I am thinking about something like this.   

1. Export all the tags to excel and save in a "Tag List" sheet.  
    2. Export the work items that have a tag using John's (Tags.ObjectID != "") filter above - it works).  However, it looks like I have to do this one artifact at a time:  user story, defect. feature, test case, etc.  In the Export Query type, I don't see any higher-level object in the hierarchy.  
    3. Append all the work items into a big honking "Work Item" list. 
    3. Write a macro or excel function that searches the Tag List for a match in the Work Item list and displays either "HIT" or "MISS". (Extra credit: count the occurences of each hit).  
    4. Create a Custom Grid for all tags, and bulk-edit the "MISS" tags to archive or delete.  

This task is pretty far down in my backlog for now, unless there's a better way to do this.  

• 6.  Re: How to find unused tags in workspace?

Posted Jun 07, 2016 05:39 AM
    I am also looking for similar feature in Rally as one of our Workspace has too many Tags & we are looking to find a list of unused from it.
    Any further help any one can provide ? I have also raised this as a suggetion to Rally support team.