Rally Software

• 1.  Is anyone using Rally for internal "Help Desk" management

Posted Aug 13, 2015 02:23 PM
    My group (SCM) supports multiple development groups. Sometimes the requests made of us are short term tasks and others are longer term projects.  Many of the tasks and projects are associated with the development groups' stories.

Have you been able to effectively manage tasks and projects that are, in many ways, similar to those handled by an IT help desk?
    If so, what approach do you recommend (project structure, etc...)?
    How do you accomodate the "casual" user (i.e., people who need help but, otherwise, do not use Rally)?

Thanks in advance.

Steve K.

• 2.  Re: Is anyone using Rally for internal "Help Desk" management

Posted Aug 14, 2015 01:57 PM
    Steve,

I have one team that does these types of requests. Namely, code pushes, account setups, process runs, etc. I have handled this in the following way.
    1. Separate project for these requests.
    2. Email templates for each request type
    3. Custom ruby program that monitors an email account that is a member of multiple groups.      
      1. One group is mapped to a project
      2. Emails received creat a US under that project with subject body and attachments as part of the story
      3. We recently added the requestor as a watcher if appropriate

I hope this gives you an idea of how it could be used.

thanks,

David

• 3.  Re: Is anyone using Rally for internal "Help Desk" management

Posted Aug 18, 2015 11:24 AM
    Hi Steve, did the above response help you?  If so, please mark the answer as "Best Answer" so others can find the same solution!

• 4.  Re: Is anyone using Rally for internal "Help Desk" management

Posted Aug 18, 2015 02:24 PM

David,

Thank you for your reply.
    Your solution sounds good. I'm wondering how long it took for you to evolve the approach to the state it's in now.
    Are you a UNIX/Linux shop?  I'm curious, because I imagine a UNIX environment being more compatible with an E-mail based approach than if it were implmented in a Windows environment.
    Also, once the US is entered does the original requestor have a means to add to the story or, perhaps, place a defect against it?

Thanks again,

Steve K.

• 5.  Re: Is anyone using Rally for internal "Help Desk" management

Posted Aug 18, 2015 04:26 PM
    Steve,

It took us a couple weeks to iron it out. We also use this for the management of core platforms and projects to ensure consumers are not dropping items into the product backlog.

We are a Linux shop and use Google Apps for our email. We currently leverage the mail gem for ruby to process the email request. I would expect the same gem could be used in a windows/exchange environment

https://github.com/mikel/mail

In our particular case we usually correspond with the requestor and update the US as necessary. So, we don't have anything that appends or creates a defect, but I am sure that could be sorted out if needed. Appending would likely be a bit more difficult to handle than a defect.

Thanks,

Dave