Rally Software

• 1.  Too Many notifications:

Posted Dec 27, 2013 12:26 PM
    Trying to set up notifications so I get notified when someone else has made a change to an item that I own or created. I do not need to be notified if I make the change myself. How do I set that up?

• 2.  Re: Too Many notifications:
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 31, 2013 06:19 AM
    Hello Bjorn,

In order to set up Notification Rules and reduce the number of the Notifications you are receiving, the first thing to do is to uncheck the, "Notify me about changes to my <Artifact> (and items directly related to them)" check box on each of the Artifact Types.  This setting overrides any Notifcation Rules and will send Notifications for any changes made to items you own.

Then you can set up the Rules for the Artifacts.

There is not a "Created By" field on the Artifacts, but Defects have a "Submitted By" field.  So you can use the following Notification Rules.

For User Stories, Tasks, Defect Suites, and Test Cases you may use:

((Owner = <YourRallyUser>) AND (Change Author != <YourRallyUser>))

And for Defects you may use the Owner field or:

((Submitted By = <YourRallyUser>) AND (Change Author != <YourRallyUser>))

Let us know if this does not do what you expect or if you have further questions.

Michael

• 3.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Feb 11, 2014 03:39 PM
    Another option you can use when setting up Rules is to use a condition where Change Author != Myname.  This will allow notifications to trigger when anyone but you updates an item.  

• 4.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Jan 15, 2016 11:06 AM
    Can someone translate into 2016 capabilities? The UI does not let me spell out rules like this, only specify field, operator, and value; and for Change Author, I just get an alpha list of names that doesn't include me or my team.

• 5.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Jan 15, 2016 11:29 AM
    Hey John, the UI for Notification Rules hasn't changed recently, so you should still have the same options available.  You can just translate the query options mentioned above into selectable options.  The list of Change Authors should certainly include you and your team -- please make sure you are scoped to a project that you (and your team) have Edit access to. 

• 6.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Jan 15, 2016 02:54 PM
    OK, I managed to find my name on the list. It is strange in that it is a global alpha list, not the one I normally see when assigning a US, for example. But I can ignore that for now.

I am (newly setup) admin for the team/project/folder.

Now my problem is I am getting NO notifications, even with User Story check box checked to “Notify me….”.; whether I or anyone else modifies a US. Note: my notification rule is INACTIVE.

My colleague, meanwhile, gets ALL notifications, even if she sets up “Change Author != <her name>” as a rule.

Thanks,
    John

• 7.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Jan 19, 2016 12:20 PM
    John, you'd have to take a look at what other conditions / rules you (and your colleague) have set up, as they are most likely preventing (or causing, respectively) any notifications from being fired.  That, or you're just not receiving the notification emails?  Perhaps a filter on your email or they're going to spam?

• 8.  Re: Too Many notifications:

Posted Jan 19, 2016 04:01 PM
    1/19 update: my colleague's rules seem to be working well now (not seeing her own changes, as desired). I am still getting NO notification emails, even if I check the "Notify me" box for US, and make my one and only rule inactive. There are no email filtering rules in Outlook, and nothing in my Spam/Junk folder.