DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  High memory usage

Posted Oct 19, 2016 11:40 AM

After upgraded UIM/UMP to v8.4.7, I am seeing high memory usage on the primary hub server.  The main process using the memory is Java and the memory has been steadily increasing over time up to the current level of 84%.  Anyone else seeing this?  Any ideas?

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: High memory usage

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2016 11:45 AM

Hi Woody,

Please expand the command line in Task Manager to see which java process is taking up the memory.

• 3.  Re: High memory usage

Posted Oct 19, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi Stephen,

From what I can see, they are all related to one UIM probe or another.  The biggest memory user is -jar lib/discovery_server-8.42.jar, lib/*" com.nimsoft.selfservice.prob.SelfServiceProbe, -jar cisco_ucs.jar; -jar lib\qos_processor.jar, -jar udm_manager-8.40.jar. 

All are related to UIM from what I can see.

It seems that if I reboot the server, that releases the memory and it will slowly build back up.

Suggestions?

• 4.  Re: High memory usage

Posted Oct 19, 2016 12:09 PM

Yep - working this issue w/ support currently - there are a number of memory leak issues in the code that they have addressed in a hot fix. Also the discovery_server treats is work as an O(n^2) size problem. It only needs to be O(n).

Also you will see discovery go to 100% CPU usage and stick there for a period of time (maybe hours) before crashing.

Ask support to reference case 00378343

-Garin

• 5.  Re: High memory usage

Posted Oct 28, 2016 12:17 PM

Hi Woody!

Just to update you that UIM 8.47 require more Hardware as you can see/compare with:

Obtain Sufficient Hardware - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.0 - CA Technologies Documentation ( Same settings from 8.0 until 8.4)

Primary Hub Server Requirements

Deployment sizeProcessor
    64-bit XEON-class, 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory
    SmallOne dual-core4 to 8 GB
    MediumOne or two quad-core12 GB
    LargeTwo quad-core12 GB
    MajorTwo quad- or eight-core16 to 24 GB

Now on 8.4.7 need more Memory:

Prepare Your Server Hardware - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Primary Hub Server Requirements

Minimum processor: 64-bit XEON-class, 2.0 GHz (or equivalent).

Deployment sizeProcessorMemoryStorage
    Small2 CPUs 8 GB

500 GB

Note: The installer can also require an additional 2-3 GB of temporary space to unpack the files.

Medium4 CPUs

12-16 GB

Large8 CPUs16-24 GB
    Major8-12 CPUs24-32 GB

• 6.  Re: High memory usage

Posted Oct 31, 2016 11:16 PM

Those recommendations are ludicrous. It's a sign of a fundamental software design failure. There is nothing that UIM does that should reasonably take that much CPU or RAM. Anyone who is running 8.4 and using 32GB of RAM should push back on CA calling it a defect.

-Garin