Clarity

• 1.  Invoices in Projects

Posted Oct 19, 2016 12:16 PM

Hello,

I would like to know the best way to charge invoices to a project, reaing on the ppm documentation I haven´t a very clear idea about the way to charge some expenditures to a project, for example if I need to purchase 5 servers and all they cost 25000€, what is the best way to charge this cost to the project?, using process transactions or using process chargebacks?.

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Francisco.

• 2.  Re: Invoices in Projects

Posted Oct 19, 2016 01:00 PM

Transactions.

Chargebacks "represent the inter-account transfers of investment or service costs to departments."  Chargebacks are not about the recording of actual costs - only about transferring actual costs once recorded.  Personally, I'd stay away from this feature as long as possible, unless you have a sophisticated chargeback process already - it requires a lot more 'stuff' than we need, only making something complicated for us that ought to be simple.  For example: 

• My Customer:  "Please, transfer the costs of this Engineering project to the Manufacturing department that is selling the parts to the customer."  
    • Me:  "Ok, first we need to setup GL accounts, credit rules, debit rules - and the crediting rules for the supplying departments are based on percentages that we must setup, not the actual costs of the resources supplied by each department, and then...."
    • My Customer, with eyes like deer staring into headlights of on-coming car:  "OMG - stop, my head is spinning!"

Maybe this is perfect solution for some - not for us - CA PPM is not our accounting system!

You'll need to work with Transactions.  If at all possible, look at importing your non-labor actual costs from your financial system.  Manual entry method through UI is just too cumbersome/slow.  If I couldn't buy or build a true interface, if I had to rely on flat file transfers, I'd look at ITDesign and IT-ROI for their Excel interface offerings.