CA Service Management

• 1.  Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 25, 2016 09:29 AM

I am trying to configure notification rules for the SDM on below scenario.

I am trying to create notifications rules to send by Area and Priority.
    I Created 5 Areas ( AreaI, AreaJ, AreaK, AreaL, AreaM )
    Existing Priority  ( 1 to 5)
    I have 5 Customer contatcts ( CustomerI, CustomerJ, CustomerK, CustomerL, CustomerM)
    I have 2 Analayst contacts( AnalaystA, AnalaysB)
    I have 3 Support contacts  ( SupportC, SupportD, SupportE )
    I have created on group to house All contacts

AnalaystA contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to All Area and All Priority
    AnalaystB contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to All Area and with Priority=1 or Priority=2
    SupportC contact wants Notification from when when ticket belong to All Area and with Priority=1 or Priority=2 or Priority=3
    SupportD contact wants Notification from when when ticket belong to (Area = AreaI or Area = AreaK or Area = AreaL) and with (Priority=1 or Priority=2 or Priority=3)
    SupportE contact wants Notification from when when ticket belong to (Area = AreaJ or Area = AreaK or Area = AreaM) and with (Priority=1 or Priority=2 or Priority=3)
    CustomerI contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to ( Area = AreaI or Area = AreaJ) and  (Priority=1)
    CustomerJ contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to ( Area = AreaJ ) and (Priority=1)
    CustomerK contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to  ( Area = AreaK or Area = AreaJ )and (Priority=1)
    CustomerL contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to ( Area = AreaL or Area = AreaK) and  (Priority=1)
    CustomerM contact wants Notification from when ticket belong to  ( Area = AreaM or Area = AreaJ or Area = AreaL ) and (Priority=1 and Priority=2)

Because of the way contacts wants notification I created one notification rule each ( with a single Area and single Priority as the condition) then I put the contacts to each notification rule.
    I find it too complex to administer if there is future expansion.
    How should I design my notification strategy to make it easier to administer in the future on such scenario?

• 2.  Re: Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 25, 2016 09:42 AM

Hi Guan,

It seems you are trying to meet every need of every contact individually.  That is going to be a huge task to manage and maintain.  I think you would have to really streamline your process and put some guidelines or standards in place based upon the needs of Analysts, Customers, Support folks etc.  Determine what notifications they really need in order to play their role effectively.  You have to look at what the purpose of those notifications are, and what the value is.  Then you should come up with a finite set of notification rules that meet the needs (not the wants, but just the needs), and apply those.  Its not a great idea to do it per-analyst because you will end up with a TON of rules and overhead, not to mention administrative maintenance.  Typically for notifications, most customers would add the object contacts (meaning Assignee, Affected End User etc.) to the notification rules, and that would cover all the folks that NEED to get those notifications. As far as categories are concerned, you will have to set up separate rules if you need to do it by category.  There are not many customers that set up notifications by category as most customers have a large number of categories.  It would not be efficient.

For more information about setting up notifications, see this section of the documentation:  Notifications - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps a bit,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 26, 2016 12:16 PM

Hi Jon,

the scenario is what the previous service desk application can provide. When a area is met, system will send notification to Contact base on Priority.

Is there a way to influence the auto assignment on ticket status so that I can put some logic to influencing a ticket to be auto assigned to a group base on the Status and Criteria and  Area and Priority ? This will make notification simpler as I can group them in Groups and it can be on the object group in the ticket assigned to receive notification.

If there is it will make administering simple for me as I can instruct duty person to just add or remove the person from  the group to receive notification. 

Or in the future the rule or notification that can influence the auto assignment need to be change I just add or modify to meet everyone's requirement .

• 4.  Re: Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 26, 2016 02:43 PM

Unfortunately no... auto assignment is by category, CI, or workshift.  What you want would be an enhancement.

• 5.  Re: Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:43 AM

You could perhaps suggest to your analysts that they save a search filter as a scoreboard query for whatever combination of Areas they desire.  Add 'last_mod_dt' to the list page, run the scoreboard query and sort by last_mod_dt descending, and you've got the latest updates at the top of the page.  As Jon says, you are heading for a heavy administrative load in attempting to maintain all these combinations in notification rules.

Regards,

James

• 6.  Re: Need help on notification activity in 14.1.0.3 service desk manager

Posted Oct 26, 2016 12:26 PM

Hi James,

the scenario is what the previous service desk application can provide. Actually I am involve in implement group, support group and I am also part of the analyst group of my department. I have relay to my analyst, support group to assess the implementation and if it fit their criteria of use. As I am in is crash course for basic SDM course and in a month after course need implementing service desk that I told them to look properly on what is delivered to them by me.