DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Is there a way to remote access JMX data?

Posted Oct 28, 2016 09:55 AM

We are observing more and more open source java implementation such as Kafka in our shop. I know we can install java agent to pull out data, but the trend is adopting agentless implementation. There is no reason to change software packaging just because we want to upgrade monitor agent such as Wily. Right? 

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to remote access JMX data?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 28, 2016 10:03 AM

Hi Jeff,

There are indeed a variety of EPAgent plugins that will allow you to fetch JMX data, I’m sure someone on this community will be able to point you to their favourite ones.

Regs,

Florian.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to remote access JMX data?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2016 10:33 AM

Hiko_Davis Guenter_Grossberger anything that you recommend here. Thanks in advance!

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to remote access JMX data?

Posted Oct 28, 2016 07:52 PM

Florian,

Thanks for the response. But do you have any specific in mind?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to remote access JMX data?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 09:12 AM

Hi Jeff:

Hiko_Davis and Guenter_Grossberger were both asked to respond but they are likely in training or on a customer site. I am asking our internal discussion board for a response as well as internally in Support. So doing all within my power to get a response for you.

Thanks

Hal German

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to remote access JMX data?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 11:01 AM

Agentless monitoring will not get you any detailed information about performance.

Remote JMX monitoring will cause overhead, regardless what vendors will tell you.

Yes, we can remotely poll for JMX using a unsupported FieldPack/extension, similar to JConsole, but it's read-only.

If all you want to do is remote polling of non- code-based performance, you can consider using UIM for that also.