CA Service Management

• 1.  How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?

Posted Oct 30, 2016 09:32 AM

In my Service Desk database, I have many user accounts who have incorrect entries due to user changing roles and/or work locations.

Steps taken:

1. I have extracted all user accounts from my Service Desk database - to a spreadsheet.

2. I have determined and highlighted the wrong entries and specified the right information in another column on the spreadsheet.

A manual way of correcting this is to edit each user account.

However, this is largely inefficient as it is time consuming and I have hundreds of records to modify.

Kindly assist with a way to do a bulk upload or modification.

• 2.  Re: How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?

Posted Oct 31, 2016 05:32 AM

Hi Afolabi

You can use pdm_userload to update the data. 

Alternatively, you can use the LDAP integration to get the data updated in ServiceDesk whenever it changes at the source (AD for example) via pdm_ldap_sync.

Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 31, 2016 08:00 AM

Hi Afolabi,

I agree with Brian on this one, there is not much you can do in bulk via the GUI.  The only options you have are to use the pdm_userload tool, which you would first need to build a proper load file based on your spreadsheet.  You can do this using the pdm_deref tool - or dereferencing tool as its called.  This will take your data and turn it into a loadable file.  However, something like this I would first test in a test environment prior to doing anything like this in production.  You can find out more about the dereferncing tool here: Data Dereferencing - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The BEST approach is the one that Brian recommended which is to use an LDAP directory connection to import/sync users at regular intervals.  This will automatically keep things updated and will even inactivate a record in SDM if it finds that user is missing from LDAP, OR is inactive in LDAP. Again, something that should be tested properly before attempting to roll out anything like this in production.  You can find out more about the LDAP functionality here: How to integrate CA SDM with LDAP - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,
    Jon I.

• 4.  Re: How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?

Posted Nov 01, 2016 07:43 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and useful links, Jon.

• 5.  Re: How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?

Posted Nov 01, 2016 10:29 AM

Welcome

• 6.  Re: How do I modify bulk user accounts in CA Service Desk?

Posted Nov 01, 2016 07:42 AM

Thank you Brian.

I will attempt this.