CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Missing letters when typing

• 1.  Missing letters when typing

Posted Oct 31, 2016 09:36 AM

HI Team,

when I type some text in description / resolution fields some letters are not typing properly.

This is not problem with keyboard when I typed in notepad the letters are coming properly but when I type in description / resolution fields letters are not properly coming.

we are using ca Servicedesk r14.1 with c2 patch.

is this known issue or do we have patch with CA ?

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Oct 31, 2016 10:08 AM

Hi Subbarao, 

Are you using a localized version of Service Desk?  If so, which version and language are you using?  Also have you tested with a different browser?

Let me know,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2016 10:26 AM

Does the issue also occur in other CA SDM fields (i.e. Summary field, notes field)?

What specific characters does the issue occur with?

Do you have form customizations in place?

Is this a clean install of CA SDM 14.1 or an upgrade from a previous release?

• 4.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Oct 31, 2016 02:53 PM

This might be the same thing my team is seeing, and it happens very intermittently.  In any text field they type in, it starts not typing certain characters.  It's almost like there is a delay because if you see it happening and you start typing really slowly, (like pausing a few seconds between each key), then it types ok.  I seem to be the only one that hasn't experienced it, and can't figure out why. 

To answer Jon and Paul's questions:  We are not using a localized version of the application, we only use IE so I can't have my team use another browser, there is no specific characters that it is happening with, yes we have form modifications, and we're running a fresh install of SDM version 14.1, c2, with an upgraded 12.7 version database .   nd they only started seeing this happening after we upgraded to 14.1.

I've not submitted a support ticket for it since it is so unpredictable, but it seems that it only lasts a minute or 2 and clears on it's own, or if you log off the application and log back on, the trouble clears. 

Tammy

• 5.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Nov 03, 2016 12:06 PM

I've seen it too, thought it was my new keyboard until it happened from my old home pc.  Definitely the text field, i.e. Descriptions & Summaries on tickets, but now I know more folks are seeing it, I'll pay more attention to the letters.  I do type extremely fast, so not sure if that's part of cause...

• 6.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Oct 31, 2016 10:18 PM

I've noticed this several times and with several versions of SDM, and I suspect only with IE.  My impression is that the letter 'r' is particularly affected - for example, occasionally needing two keystrokes to register one 'r' at the beginning of a word in a description field.  But I don't touch-type, so I may be missing others and just putting them down to mistyping.  That's no help to you I'm sure, other than to assure you that you're not hallucinating - or if you are seeing things then you're not the only one :-).  In my experience it has been quite unpredictable and rare and I too have never logged a ticket.

James

• 7.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Nov 01, 2016 03:58 AM

Does any one have got positive update from CA support on this behaviour. We see the behaviour only after R14.1 Cp2.

what is the best method to track the issue, support may need the logs in trace mode which will be a deadlock situation, as the issue may lost for some time and just reopen of the window mostly resolve the issue.

/sharath

• 8.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Nov 01, 2016 06:52 AM

hi,

i think that javascript keypress handler could be a clue, adjusting things that should work out-of-the-box is not very nice, but...

my suggestion is: firstly, try to disable spelcheck on laggy input fields:

<PDM_MACRO name=dtlTextbox ........................ spellchk=no>

If problem back you can debug it (even in IE) in this way:

- hit F12, switch to Profiler tab;

- set cursor to laggy input;

- click Start button and type few symbols;

- click Stop and check result, culprit should be on top.

Regards,

cdtj

• 9.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Nov 10, 2016 06:06 PM

Hi cdtj,

I wanted to have someone on my team do the F12 when they saw the typing problem happen, but he doesn't see the 'Profiler' tab (see screen print). 

The strange thing is, I do see the 'Profiler' tab when I hit F12, but I can't do this since I never see the problem happening!  We are both running IE version 11.  The only known difference is that I'm running Windows 7 and he's running Windows 10 -- Any ideas why he doesn't see the tab?

Thanks.

Tammy

• 10.  Re: Missing letters when typing

Posted Nov 11, 2016 03:12 AM

Hi Tammy,

i'm sorry but I haven't access to win10 env.

Googling for the problem I have found that they rebuild dev interface, now tool is called JavaScript Call Stacks, you can check info here: F12 devtools guide: Performance - Microsoft Edge Development 

Regards,

cdtj