CA Service Management

• 1.  Service Catalog re-installation

Posted Nov 01, 2016 12:18 PM

Because of some troubles with our current Service Catalog environment I'm trying to do re-instalation of Service Catalog. I did uninstallation with flag mdb.undeploy.deletedata = true in config.properties file to have all usm tables clean.  After this I started a new installation but installation failed with error

Configuring CA Service Catalog - Components with error "Deploy module 'component' failed with return code - -3".

I attached logs.

I restored server and mdb database to preview state and uninstalled Service Catalog again with flag mdb.undeploy.deletedata = false, a new installation was successful.

Can somebody help how to do fresh clean new Service Catalog installation and preserve data of Service Desk in MDB?

Thank you,

Milan

Attachment(s)

zip
    install.log.zip   15 KB 1 version
    zip
    view.log.zip   3 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: Service Catalog re-installation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2016 04:32 AM

Hi Milan.

Preliminary research shows me the following.

Please check on this and see whether it will get you further on this.

Question:
    How to RE-deploy the SC Components through the SC Setup Utility.

Solution:
    You can 'unconfigure' the 'compoment' part for the SC-Setup Utility.
    By using the below command:
    1. Open a commandprompt
    2. Run: cd C:\Program Files\CA\Service Catalog\scripts
    3. Run: configurator.bat -u component -p "%USM_HOME%\config.properties"
    4. Restart the CA Service Catalog service
    5a. Rerun the SC-Setup Utility(login) and select the Components module
    5b. Select (all) you need and click 'save'
    6. When done, click 'finish'/'OK' to restart the service(s)
    7. Logout of the SC Setup Utility
    8. Check the SC-UI/catalog/forms/forms for it's content

Kind regards, Louis van Amelsfort.

• 3.  Re: Service Catalog re-installation

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:42 AM

Hi Louis,

the primary reason why I'm trying to to re-instalation is to delete all data that Service Catalog has in mdb database.

I set flag mdb.undeploy.deletedata = true in config.properties file,  I run configurator.bat -u component -p "C:\Program Files\CA\Service Catalog\config.properties" and I received result "Configurator SUCCESS", after restart of Service Catalog service catalog I cannot connect to UI with information that I have to run Config utility but all data still remain in mdb database.

I'm trying to find way how to delete all Service Catalog data from mdb but let data of Service Desk intact.

Regards,

Milan

• 4.  Re: Service Catalog re-installation

Posted Nov 02, 2016 11:30 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Louis,

I was told that the steps that you recommended to me should delete Service Catalog data if I use flag mdb.undeploy.deletedata = true in config.properties file but this not happend. I tried to do this again but result was the same. I attached screenshot from my steps.

Regards,

Milan

Attachment(s)

zip
    steps.zip   442 KB 1 version

• 5.  Re: Service Catalog re-installation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 12:03 PM

Update on this, now we've solved it through a support case. The method of updating the config.properties so that

mdb.undeploy.deletedata = true

is set clears out -all- data usm_* MDB tables (though not the tables themselves). However, this means that the re-install gets confused - the MDB is partially there, but it can't tell the version. We ran the following SQL query to tell it:

insert into USM_SCHEMA_VERSION values (14, 1, 0)

Now it knows that the table schema is for a 14.1 system with no patches. You can then run through the reinstall, and the content section will correctly reload it.

thanks

Iain