Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

• 1.  How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 05:06 AM

I've been running test cases using test runner command line utility for past 3 months and suddenly i see today that the C drive on the server is out of space .

When i dig into the issue, i find out that some logs in C drive are being generated when i run test cases using test runner utility.

these are found in C:\Users\<<Accountname>>\lisatmp_9.1.0\amq\rpc.

Tons of folder inside this with numeric names of 5 digits.

inside which there is a folder called kahaDB, consisting of files db.data, db-1.log and lock.

No idea what these files are , from where or why they got generated.

can anyone help me disable these logs?

• 2.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:26 AM
    Brian Mcdonald - any ideas on what those files are and how to control themif possible?

• 3.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:32 AM

AFAIK, these files are used by the DevTest components for their runtime communication.

What is the size of the AMQ folder? What version of DevTest are on?

As a workaround, the AMQ folder can be deleted after stopping all the DevTest components.

• 4.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:36 AM

i am on DevTest 9.1.0.399 .. i deleted these folders(5 digit ones under rpc folder) for now..cleared up some space..but its just a workaround of clearing these logs in a certain time frame.

if i delete the amq folder will it get created again when i start running the jobs?

Can i disable them or will it be an issue to run test cases using testrunner?

• 5.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:43 AM

How much space do you have on the Server's C:\ drive & what was the space used by AMQ folder?

The AMQ folder should get created whenever the Devtest components startup.

I don't think we can disable the generation of these files.

• 6.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:47 AM

i have a 80GB c drive..AMQ folder used about 40 GB in 2 months..40 GB for other stuff..so we ran out of space

• 7.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:51 AM

That is certainly not good. Can you please share a screenshot of the folders under rpc folder?

I would suggest to open a CA support case to get a resolution for this - in the interim use the workaround suggested above.

• 8.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 10:02 AM

I've attached the screen shots in the post itself..Please have a look

• 9.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2016 10:30 AM

What is the syntax of TestRunner you use to run your tests?

• 10.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 11:05 AM

TestRunner -r <<Staging Doc Path>> -t <<Test CasePath>> -config <<Config File Path>> -cs local -m <<Registry address>> -u <<username>>-p <<password>>  -a -html <<Path for html report>>

• 11.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?

Posted Nov 04, 2016 09:44 AM

Also if these files are used by DevTest components for their runtime communication, shouldn't the application delete them once the test run is over.

Each folder under rpc is about 31.5 MB in size, so if i run test cases 20 times a day it'll pile up to 600 MB a day under rpc folder, that is why in about 2-3 months we ran out of space on the server.

i have a 80GB c drive

• 12.  Re: How to disable logging while running test cases using test runner command line utility?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 04, 2016 02:48 PM

Prem is correct, we use AMQ for interprocess communications and there will be a persistent db for messages for each port being listened on. Now it's unusual for there to be so many - the fact that there are indicates you may be using the CAI agent or otherwise using AMQ in your tests themselves. Are either of those the case?

You can read up here on ways to diagnose why the files are not being cleaned up - Apache ActiveMQ ™ -- Why do KahaDB log files remain after cleanup 

Likely it's some combination of windows locking, and process cleanup, but can't rule out that something isn't cleaning itself up properly so if you can grab some logs with the details above, that would help track down the issue.