CA Service Management

• 1.  SDM LDAP Import configuration for length of a string field

Posted Nov 07, 2016 06:51 AM

Hi community,

we are importing/sync our Service Desk Manager contacts over ldap.

We need to fix the length of cost_center, which is a string field on 7 characters (e.g. cost center "1234" would become "0001234").

Is there a way to simply configure an automatically action to perform this, for example in a .mod file with specific syntax?

Thanks a lot in advance

Christian

• 2.  Re: SDM LDAP Import configuration for length of a string field

Posted Nov 07, 2016 08:56 AM

Hi Christian,

I dont believe there is a way out of the box to do this.  It would most likely require some type of spel code to trigger the value to be appended to IF its even possible.    Not sure if anyone else out there has come across this type of thing before, but maybe if they have, they can share it here with you.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: SDM LDAP Import configuration for length of a string field

Posted Nov 07, 2016 09:12 PM

The best place to fix this is at the source - whether that is your directory or whatever is feeding it.  Fixups like this are a potential source of grief later on, e.g. when someone decides to fix the format in the directory a few months down the track.

However, if you really have no alternative, you could:

• create an Activity Association for the cost_center field
    • create an Activity Notification for the cost_center update
    • create a site-defined condition that tests if the cost_center isn't already in the correct format - to prevent a loop
    • write a macro to reformat the field
    • create an event against the notification, which if the site-defined condition returns true (i.e. it's not correctly formatted) calls the macro to reformat the cost_center field.

You could also do this with a trigger, but that is a less 'visible' solution so would not be my first choice.

Hopefully you'll decide that getting the field reformatted at source is a lot less trouble :-).

Regards,

James