DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Changing Domain name in UIM

Posted Nov 07, 2016 02:25 PM

Hi All,

We are having 6 hubs with one UIM & Ump server .I am planning to deploy a new UIM & UMP server with new database, with this we are going to reroute the tunnels and queue to new uim server.

There is a plan  to change the  domain name ,whether this will cause any impact? Share your thoughts..

Regards,

• 2.  Re: Changing Domain name in UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2016 02:51 PM

From an old UIM article:

Domain changes post-install are not tested by QA for the amount of possible failures that could permeate the UIM environment. Nonetheless, in-case this does occur, below are some of the core components to check for.

Primary hub; 

* in Hub.cfg - this should be updated to match the new domain name in the following fields 
    domain = newDomainname_domain 

* revise all queues to reflect new domain name and change their path's 
    addr = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/hub 

* in robot.cfg- this should be updated as well to match new domain name 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
    UMP 

* in wasp.cfg - the address paths should be updated to reflect the new probe locations 
    e.g; 
    nas = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/nas 
    sla_engine = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/sla_engine 

If using dashboard_engine (uim 8.2 and lower) 
    * in dashboard_engine.cfg - update the new probe addresses again in the Nimbus section. 
    data_engine = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/sla_engine 
    * in dap.cfg - update path again in 'Setup' section 
    data_engine = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/sla_engine 
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Secondary Hubs/robot's 

* in Hub.cfg - this should be updated to match the new domain name in the following fields 

* revise all queues to reflect new domain name and change their path's 
    addr = /newDomainName/hubName/robotName/hub 

These changes are for the core components, there may be some other specialty probes that may need to be changed as well. These changes are highly advised against if re-install of UIM is not a viable option. A re-installation of UIM is otherwise recommended as a domain name fix.

• 3.  Re: Changing Domain name in UIM

Posted Nov 07, 2016 10:25 PM

There will any impact in DB,where the information is correlated

• 4.  Re: Changing Domain name in UIM

Posted Nov 07, 2016 11:17 PM

Issac08 I am also planning for a similar activity and working on collating information and setting up a plan . Please post the challenges / results if you are able to get it done soon 

In my case the domains might be in two different networks so need to figure out a way to make them talk to each other . This is an additional challenge which I need to take into consideration

I am trying to test this in a dev environment but not sure how successful I would be, however I will post the results once I do it 

Also check the below doc has some additional information which is helpful 

Knowledge Base Articles 

• 5.  Re: Changing Domain name in UIM

Posted Nov 08, 2016 09:16 AM

But I am worried whether the domain Name in each robot will change perfectly or not ,because it must not affect the database.

• 6.  Re: Changing Domain name in UIM
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 09, 2016 05:52 AM

Well...going by whats written in the document its suppose to work as expected .Also from your initial update I see you would be using a new DB so it should not be a issue with affecting the DB as its from scratch

Also do you already have the new setup ready? May be try moving a couple of non critical robots initially and see how it behaves