Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

• 1.  Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 01:16 PM

As part of the CA PPM 14.4 On Premise Install, the online documentation asks to "Set the Required Java Virtual Machine (JVM) Properties".  It says to go to "AdminConsole, Application Servers, server1, Java and Process Management, Process Definitions, Java Virtual Machine"

On a new Windows Server 2012 64-bit, I've Installed the Java 8 JDK and Apache Tomcat successfully, but how do I set the JVM properties?

Where do I do this (Windows, CA PPM) ? 

Does a Windows Server Administrator need to do this?

Do I need to install Java (in addition to the JDK)?

• 2.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 01:40 PM

Hi Greg,

Once you install the CSA which is the PPM admin console, you can login and go to Application link and set the JVM in the Java VM Parameters. 

Regards
    Suman Pramanik 

• 3.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:29 PM

Hi Suman.  Thank you for the reply and the image!

• 4.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:20 PM

Hi Greg,

Concerning this specific section, this is only specific to generic J2EE application server or Websphere/Weblogic. Since you are on Tomcat, you will not have AdminConsole etc. and setting up JVM prior to the new install is not needed. You may ignore this instructions. 

Once you perform a successful install there will be default JVM settings as Suman mentioned above
    in CSA and properties.xml file in $ca_ppm\config directory. The properties.xml file contains all the settings that you set up in CSA so setting only one of them is enough. It's not mandatory to modify the JVM settings, you may leave them set to default unless necessary for your environment.

You don't need to install any other Java than JDK for CA PPM. If you set up Jaspersoft reporting in addition to it, it needs JRE which is normally installed as part of JDK and you should be able to find it there if on the same server. 

Hope this helps -Nika

• 5.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:28 PM

Very helpful!  Thank you!

• 6.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:22 PM

Hi Greg, building upon the reply from SumanPramanik, you will find all of the fields in the above screen shot documented here in the CA PPM 14.4 On Premise documentation:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-4/en/administration/ca-ppm-system-administration-csa#CAPPMSystemAdministration(CSA)-ApplicationServerProperties

Once here, go to the section titled "Application Instance Section (for CA PPM Application (app) and CA PPM System Administration (nsa) Services)"

Hope this helps!

John

• 7.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:30 PM

HI John.  Great info, thanks!

• 8.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:41 PM

Hi greg.mann

Are you able to confirm for us you may be referencing an old PDF copy of the documentation perhaps. If you navigate to https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-4/en/installing-and-upgrading/set-up-the-application-server you should be able to confirm the old section titled Set the Required Java Virtual Machine (JVM) Properties was removed around October 1, 2016. Please let us know.

• 9.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 02:51 PM

Hi Damon, thank you for the reply.

Yes, it appears that the PDF copy I have, dated 9/29/2016, was what I was referencing.  We had been working on an active CA Case and I had not gone back to check the online steps.  I will try to remember to always re-check the online documentation!

Also, this was my first post to the Communities page.  I see there are “Mark Correct” buttons and a “Mark as assumed answered” link.  What is correct protocol when “closing” a post?

Thank you for your help,

Greg

• 10.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 08, 2016 03:17 PM

Hi Greg - Welcome to the community and congratulations on your first post! The protocol is that if the person asking the question gets a correct answer they "Mark Correct". The assumed link is mostly used by moderators when they believe a post to be answered and original poster hasn't marked it as correct. Happy posting! Chris

• 11.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 08, 2016 03:40 PM

Thank you Greg for letting us know. We truly are focused on delivering an exceptional product experience for you and your team.

Did you know? You can bookmark or type docops.ca.com/ppmod for SaaS or docops.ca.com/ppmop for On Premise to always get to the latest CA PPM documentation. From here, you can switch to another doc set by choosing another Version or Language.

• 12.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Posted Nov 10, 2016 04:20 AM

It is also possible to set JVM properties via command line, prior to starting Tomcat. On Windows just run set JAVA_OPTS="-Xms3072m -Xmx3072m". On Linux to use export instead of set

• 13.  Re: Install 14.4:  How do I "Set the Required JVM Properties"?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 04:24 AM

we manage JVM via CSA and tomcat is a managed service and should never be explicitly managed.