Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

JRE Error in Open Workbench

• 1.  JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 09, 2016 05:43 PM

Hi all. I;m recieving a "Cannot start or find the Java 1.8 JRE" error when opening Open Workbench. The bundled JRE is installed exactly where we expect to find it. Where is the path to the bundled JRE picked up by Open Workbench? Is it in the registry?

• 2.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 09, 2016 11:43 PM

If you have already installed, please uninstall and reinstall Java

Open Workbench / Discussion / Installation:Java JRE not found 

NJ

• 3.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 10, 2016 03:26 AM

Which Clarity and  OWB version?

Which OS on the workstation?

What is in your path about OWB and java?

So you have environmental variables for OWB or java?

• 4.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 10:04 AM

Hi Robert

This error sometimes indicates an issue with the registry keys. Does the user that installs/runs OWB have full edit rights to the registry?  Please note this is required as per our documentation.

Thanks -Nika

• 5.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 10, 2016 02:25 PM

Yes, this is my development laptop, I have full rights. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the OWB installer writing to the registry.

This is OWB 2.1.2 from the 14.3 fixpack 9 install. OWB no longer requires a separate 32 bit JRE install because the JRE is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\PPM\CA PPM Schedule Connect\jre8.

How does OWB know to pick up this JRE? Is it in the registry? If so, what are the keys? Does this error mean "I can't find my JVM that I installed?"

• 6.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 10, 2016 03:59 PM

This is what I have (in 14.4)

Nothing about java path or OWB for current user or local machine. So the location of jre could be hard coded.

I guess the error message means I cannot find any 32 bit jre that matches my reguirement.

That could be verified in a system that works with a separate install of jre 8 by renaming the folder for the jre that came with schedule connect.

The OWB version that comes directly from ITDesign does not have schedule connect, so just wondering if that needs separate jre installation.

• 7.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 10, 2016 04:29 PM

I am an admin on my laptop

I have full control over the Open Workbench folder

I have full registry edit capability

I have installed OWB both simply running it as my user and also by 'Run as Administrator'.

So... why do I need to open as Administrator?

I don't know.

Work around: Configure Applications to Always Run as an Administrator 

Please please PLEASE update the Open Workbench installer to install in a user account like a normal Win 7 App.

• 8.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Nov 11, 2016 02:42 AM

So you are saying that running OWB as admin works around the problem?

The reason for that might be that when Microsoft started tightening Windows security a standard user could no the install anymore. If the install was done as the admin then the OWB registry entries were for the admin and not for the real user.

The work around was to do the install with a script and to elevate the rights of the user to admin for the install or something like that. That worked for OWB, but you have pointed out that apparently it does not work any more for jre. Maybe that is due to Microsoft improving the security of Windows again or change in java.

Are you saying the if you install separate jre 8 as yourself either in its standard folder or on top of the folder where OWB installs it, jre 8 is still not found?

Why be so picky: Please please PLEASE update the Open Workbench to a normal Windows App.

• 9.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted Feb 28, 2017 11:12 AM

That's exactly what we experienced in CA PPM 15.1. Schedule connect does not run with the delivered jre. It takes the system's. We added several certificates to cacerts under C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\PPM\CA PPM Schedule Connect\jre8\lib\security but they are not recognized. In Version 14.2 this worked fine.

We are not allowed to add the certificates to system's standard jre cacerts. So how can I tell schedlink.exe to use the included jre?

• 10.  Re: JRE Error in Open Workbench

Posted May 15, 2017 03:12 PM

Wondering if anyone has come up with the solution to this, we've just gotten around by updating the system Java with each Clarity upgrade, but it would be nice if it used the embedded version as intended.