CA Service Management

• 1.  Moving Physical to Virtual Env CA SD

Posted Nov 11, 2016 04:20 AM

Hi Team,

We have CA Service Desk Manager 12.9 t& CA BI 3.3 tools in our environment, we are planning to move it from physical to a virtual environment. The IP address and hostname of these servers will change post moving into the virtual env. Can someone let me know what are the steps that are to be followed to make the system/tool to work properly.

Will pdm_configure for CA SD command suffice? What steps are to be performed for CA BI.

• 2.  Re: Moving Physical to Virtual Env CA SD

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 08:00 AM

Pushpith.........

For SDM:

1.  Stop CA SDM service and set to manual startup mode

2.  Change server IP address and hostname - this will require server reboot

3.  Run pdm_configure.  Ensure that the host name(s) within the screens are correct and DO NOT reinitialize the database

• 3.  Re: Moving Physical to Virtual Env CA SD

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 08:06 AM
      |   view attached

Pushpith.........

The attached KB article from SAP should assist you in changing the CABI server host name/IP address

Attachment(s)

pdf
    1310352.pdf   84 KB 1 version

• 4.  Re: Moving Physical to Virtual Env CA SD
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 11, 2016 08:31 AM

Hi Pushpith,

I can point you in the right direction here, but first I need to know if you are also doing a Physical-to-Virtual on the DB server as well.  If you ARE doing the DB server as well, then you first need to fix SQL after changing the hostname of the SQL server.  Then you can fix Service Desk and CABI.  

So lets first start with SQL:

To fix SQL, run the following queries against the MASTER database using SQL Mgt Studio:

sp_dropserver "<old_name>";

Then add the new servername:

sp_addserver "<new_name>", local;

Then recycle the MSSQL services.

Next, take care of Service Desk:

There is a tec doc that may help which you can find here:

http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec616745.html

Note that if you are on advanced availability, or using a primary/secondary setup, that changes all sorts of things, so for this example I will assume this is a single box scenario (primary server only).

- First, you will need to fix the dlgsrv table, and usp_servers tables to correct the hostnames - you can do this by running queries in SQL Mgt Studio.   I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you back up the database first just in case anything goes wrong here!!!

- Next, run pdm_configure and ensure the proper hostname is in each field where it should be

- Once pdm_configure completes, take a look at things like attachment repositories, servlet URLs, and anything else in options manager that may have a URL or Hostname.  You can also do a quick scan for the old hostname in the nx.env, and nxenv_nt.tpl files

- Then FULLY test out the system making sure ALL functionality works properly

**** I would highly recommend doing this as a test-run first, prior to attempting to do it in a production environment ****

Next, for CABI 3.x:

Unfortunately for CABI, it doesnt handle host name changes very well.  SAP Business Objects recommends backing up the DB, Exporting your BIAR file, doing a clean install of BOXI, and then load your data back in.    Now some folks out there have been able to successfully change the hostname of a BOXI server using the following steps, however this is NOT SUPPORTED by CA or SAP, and we are NOT ABLE TO ASSIST if there are any problems - its "as is" at your own risk, and I highly recommend NOT doing this, but if you want to try it on a test environment, that is up to you:

Changing Hostname of CABI 3.x Server Machine:

(***NOTE THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY CA OR SAP - These steps are "as is" and are done at your own risk***)
    Following steps should be followed for changing the hostname of the CA Business Intelligence 3.x Server machine:
    1) Disable all Job Servers, so if any schedules are there would be protected.
    2) Change the hostname of the machine and restart the server.
    3) Reconfigure the Application servers. In cases of standalone install also they need to be reconfigured:
    a. For JAVA based (Tomcat, Jboss, Weblogic, Websphere)
    i. Make a copy and then edit the WEB.XML files which in Tomcat are under the following directories:
    1. <tomcat install dir>/webapps/CmcApp/WEB-INF
    2. <tomcat install dir>/webapps/InfoViewApp/WEB-INF
    ii. Edit each of the Web.xml files with a text editor
    Navigate to the context-param key. Edit to read as follows: <context-param>
    <param-name> CMS </param-name> <param-value> NEWHOSTNAME </param-value> </context-param>
    b. For .NET based (IIS)
    i. Create a copy and then edit the WEB.CONFIG files which are in the following directories:
    1. <CABI_INSTALL_DIR>\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\WebContent\InfoViewApp\CmcApp\
    2. <CABI_INSTALL_DIR>\BusinessObjects Enterprise12.0\WebContent\InfoViewApp\InfoViewApp\
    ii. Navigate to the context-param key. Edit to read as follows:
    <context-param>
    <param-name> CMS </param-name> <param-value> NEWHOSTNAME </param-value> </context-param>
    4) Reconfigure the shortcuts created by the install: delete the old shortcuts and create new ones using the new URL (with the new hostname).
    5) Optional Step: Changing the Server Intelligent Name as NEWHOSTNAME and Job Servers Name as NEWHOSTNAME.ServerName
    Note: You can keep the old name without affecting the CA Business Intelligence Functionality.
    For changing the Server Intelligent Name as NEWHOSTNAME and Job Servers Name as
    NEWHOSTNAME.ServerName follow below steps:
     Login to Central Configuration Manager (CCM) and click on Add Server Intelligent Node
    button.
     Click on Next button, then enter the New SIA Name (NEWHOSTNAME), port and choose
    third option “Create default servers on the new node” as shown in the snapshot. And
    click Next.
     Give the CMS Port and CMS System Data Source details in the screen shown as below
    and Click Next.
     Enter the New CMS information in the screen shown as below and Click Next.
     Click Finish.
     Stop the running Server Intelligent Node (don’t delete) and Start the New Server
    Intelligent Node.
     Check the CMC and InfoView and confirmed whether all the functionalities are working
    fine or not. If everything working fine, then delete the old SIA.

I think that pretty much sums it up for you.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Jon I.