DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Posted Nov 13, 2016 08:02 PM

Is there a way we can disabled the discovery of VM's when using vmware probe ? I would like to use vmware probe only to monitor ESX and Datastore . Few of the critical VM's are already being monitored using the Robots , so I am not interested in the VM servers getting discovered when the vmware probe is configured. There are a lot of junk VM's getting discovered which I do not wish to monitor.

Is there a way to exclude them from discovery?

• 2.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2016 08:09 PM

Not possible today.

The vmware probe publishes inventory information (detected devices) through "probe_discovery" subject.

The closest way is to use a key not to re-send the information at every polling.

vmware AC Configuration - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 13, 2016 09:23 PM

Yu_Ishitani I just came across the below idea in which "show_vms" raw configure key was mentioned for vmware probe

VMware Probe - Prevent 'all' VM's from discovery 

""show_vms" raw configure key will control whether the vmware probe publishes guests to discovery_server. This is an "all or nothing" setting, but it might help."

I dont see this available in Raw configure for vmware probe ...Do you have any clues on this key please?

This might be a helpful one

• 4.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2016 09:28 PM

I have no idea of the key. If you are interest in to get metrics of Hypervisor and vShpere Server only, the key is really good.

• 5.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Posted Nov 13, 2016 09:54 PM

Ok, I dont see this documented anywhere ..so just wanted to be sure before using it 

• 6.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 03:51 PM

This is the correct method to prevent VMs from being published.  As mentioned it is all or nothing.  If inventory has already been published, then steps will need to be taken to remove those from inventory.

Note: It is not possible to exclude individual VMs, so we usually recommend customers create a uim monitoring user in the ESX environment and only allow specific machines to be monitored in that case.

• 7.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Posted Nov 23, 2016 05:17 PM

Thanks for confirming DavidLeDeaux

• 8.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2018 10:28 AM

Is there a way to exclude discovering and/or data collection on VM templates and/or any VMs that are in the power state of Off?

• 9.  Re: vmware probe : Option to disable discovery of VM

Posted Aug 08, 2018 10:21 PM

Still Now there is no solution to exclude in probe.

You can restrict the access for VM for the Integrated user ID.This need to done in Vcenter ,goto ->Vcenter ->select the VM->permission ->select the user name ->set no access