Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

How to manage API groups?

• 1.  How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 14, 2016 02:57 PM

We're using the on-prem Developer Portal version 3.5.

We have 30+ endpoints that need to be applied to all new applications. Applying these one by one is slow and cumbersome so we've looked at the API groups feature. This looked good until we came across a show stopping problem: once an API group is applied to an application, new APIs can no longer be applied to that group (or removed for that matter). That means newly developed APIs cannot be added to this group and we're back in the business of adding APIs one by one. 

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a workaround we could apply?

• 2.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2016 06:35 PM

Hi 

Yes, it's by design. Maybe we should open an idea ticket for that.

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 15, 2016 04:07 PM

It's definitely unmanageable for us in it's current state so an idea ticket would be good. Alternatively, we'd be OK to create new API groups but we'd need a mechanism to bulk apply those groups to all applications. Is there a mechanism to do that?

• 4.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 15, 2016 06:42 PM

If the main idea is to have a way of programmatically adding and removing APIs to and from applications, we're exploring a solution that would use the "Applications" API in our newest portal to do this. It won't use API Groups to do this, but should still meet the core requirement. Stay tuned!

• 5.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2016 04:04 AM

Hello All,

Locking of the API Groups which are in use, is by design. Because of the below;

1. As a developer on the Portal, I add "Bank Payments APIs" Group to my "Bank Payment" app, and then publish my app to iTunes.

2. As a user, I download the Bank Payment app and start using it to do my banking with iTunes

3. As an API Owner on the Portal, I decide my API is no longer belongs in the Bank Payments APIs group, so I edit the group to remove the API

4. All instances of the Bank Payment app are now broken...

Instead, you should be able to deprecate and introduce a new version of the API Group, as you do for any API.

HTH.

Regards,

Vaseem

• 6.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 16, 2016 10:24 AM

Hi Vaseem,

Yes, I understand that particular case, but what if I add an API to that group? I don't break the app.

Thanks, Matt

• 7.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 16, 2016 02:01 PM

Matt has the use case right here. We're trying to manage the deployment of new APIs that should be made available to existing applications.  

• 8.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2016 04:20 AM

Hello Matt / Jeremy,

Probably, you can create a new API Group and add all the newly created APIs in that, and assign it to the Applications.

As the product doesn't let you modify the API Groups (be it, adding new or deleting existing) once they are assigned to Applications, you can probably think of notifying the Application Owners (stakeholders) about the newly built APIs (Groups) and assign the group of APIs to them, so that they can use it with the same old apiKey.

If you do not want to have multiple API Groups, you will have to deprecate the existing groups (then delete them) to create a new Group with new APIs included. I was told this would be the best approach in use-cases as yours.

Thanks,

Vaseem

• 9.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 21, 2016 04:17 PM

Hi Vaseem,

We appreciate your followup. I think it's fair to say that we're aware of the current product capabilities and workarounds. However, what's really needed here is an API to allow automated addition/deletion of APIs to an application. I am following up on this with the product team.

Thanks, Matt

• 10.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Aug 22, 2017 07:46 PM

JeremySkelton18000554 - Good news! Our latest CR (version 3.5 - CR5. Click here for release notes) supports the use case if the API Group is not associated with an application. However, another CR is coming soon that will allow you to add APIs to an API Group that is associated with an application. 

Thank you for your feedback! 

• 11.  Re: How to manage API groups?

Posted Nov 03, 2017 07:47 AM

hohda01 CR5 release notes already says that "You can now add APIs to existing API groups when the existing API group is associated with entities". Is that not true?

Cheers,

Adarsh