Clarity

• 1.  Call external web service from screen

Posted Nov 15, 2016 12:57 PM

Hello Experts -  I need to open a screen\form in clarity PPM and call an external SOAP web service upon clicking the submit button on the form. The values passed in the form will be sent to the web service as request. The response from the web service will be displayed on a clarity screen. Any ideas? 

• 2.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Nov 16, 2016 03:52 AM

You could trigger a process based on saving a screen of (object) data in the application - process could call an external webservice (in a GEL script) and update the object (via XOG called form the GEL) with the result.

User would have to refresh the screen to see the update though I think.

• 3.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Dec 07, 2016 02:14 AM

can you share an example for such a method?

Regards

• 4.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Dec 07, 2016 03:57 AM

Sorry no I don't have any example ; I am just suggesting a method to do this.

• 5.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Dec 07, 2016 08:07 PM

So we use Site Links for displaying forms / information.  The problem with site links is you really don't know what the user is looking at.

Placing you form in a Html Portlet, you can scrap some information about the user and what they are looking at.

So for On Premise installation Site Links and Html Portlets are pretty easy to deploy.  On Demand poses more of a challenge for scrapping information about what a user is looking at.  You can work around it by placing your html / javascript page within the document store and using the link for it as the scr in an iframe.

I have been successful in pulling off a user's session information and a url scrape and passing that off to external site.  That site take the information and via web services back to On Demand validates the user's request and if they have rights to use the external site features.  Painful but works!

V/r,

Gene

• 6.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Dec 08, 2016 02:01 AM

Hi Gene,

Actually we are new to this PPM tool and theGEL / XOG). So we have bir struggle with calling web service from PPM .

The thing that we want to do is, call a web service and save the return value in a db table column.  The webservice that we want to call is not using authentication also. So this should be more esaier but we could not see any sample except the one you sent with authentication and some extra to do for the authentication

Also we seen some samples that, users have written an executable to call the webservice and trigger(run) the this executable from PPM. It is another issue how to trigger an executable from PPM. This way is not appreciated one but a way... 

Your further assistance will be very welcome.

• 7.  Re: Call external web service from screen

Posted Dec 08, 2016 02:32 AM

One note that I have forgotten, the call may be done via process, job. Not from screen in our case.

Regards