DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  UIM with vIP

Posted Nov 16, 2016 03:37 AM

Dear Team,

I have few question related to UIM implementation with virtual IP,

1. Can we have virtual IP for HA pair of UIM Servers (2  HUB will be configured in high Availability mode with HA probe)? will it forward agent request for active server in this primary and secondary pair?
    2. Can we have virtual IP in front of 2 remote hubs (which are not configured in HA) so that in the agent configuration file will add this virtual IP as primary manager and in the secondary manager we will have disaster recovery manager entry?

Regards

Ajit C

• 2.  Re: UIM with vIP

Posted Nov 16, 2016 05:31 AM

Hi Ajit,

Unfortunately, latest robot versions are not supporting IP Virtualization. The only robot that supports this feature is robot_update_570HF1.zip , available in CA Unified Infrastructure Management Hotfix Index - CA Technologies , however, I would not recommend using such an older version in a production environment due to potential security, performance and stability issues this robot may present, when/if compared with latest robot versions.

vacro02, do we have any prevission to have IP virtualization supported in a future robot version?

Regards,

David

• 3.  Re: UIM with vIP

Posted Nov 16, 2016 11:55 PM

Thanks David,

In continuation to above, when we configure HA probe scenario do we have to give secondary server entry explicitly as secondary manager on the robot side?

Also if the tertiary server is not in same LAN but they are reachable within the network, can robot will able to discover its HUB component and starts reporting to it in case of both primary and secondary are down?

Regards

Ajit C

• 4.  Re: UIM with vIP

Posted Nov 17, 2016 05:40 AM

Hello Ajit,

Let me recommend you to check the probe's documentation, available in the following link:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/ha-high-availability and setup the HA probe on a test environment, where you can experience how it is designed to behave:

Also, please check the following KB: http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1030577.html

If you have any other problem configuring the probe, let me recommend you to create a support case, and we will try to help.

Regards,

David

• 5.  Re: UIM with vIP

Posted Nov 17, 2016 07:25 AM

Thanks David for reply,

I have already gone through the documentation and couldn't get the answers to my 2 questions which i have asked, so thought to reach to the community on field exp.

Regards

Ajit C

• 6.  Re: UIM with vIP
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi,

I can help answer these questions, but unfortunately the answer will be no to both.

The HA probe can be used for high availability but does not recognize virtual IPs and there is no way to configure a virtual IP to point to more than one hub.

The only exception is in the case of installing UIM Server on an Active/Passive Microsoft Cluster.  Then the cluster VIP can be used as it will be pointing to the active node at all times.  But this is still considered a single hub installation on a cluster, and would not be applicable to two separate hubs (with or without HA).

Hope this helps.