DX NetOps

• 1.  Admin Status of '9' for interfaces

Posted Nov 16, 2016 03:22 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to find out why the Admin Status is '9' for unreachable devices? The valid enumerations show only:

[spec@trum vnmsh]$ ./show enumerations attr=0x10e3f
    Id String Value
    0x10e3f up 1
    0x10e3f down 2
    0x10e3f testing 3

[spec@trum vnmsh]$

What is up with the '9'?

I've noticed this value is only present when the devices are unreachable but why is this '9' not in the enumeration list?

Many Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: Admin Status of '9' for interfaces
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 12:15 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Frank,

That’s a good question.  It looks like the value is set to 9 when the status “cannot be determined”.  I think it’s not part of the enumerated list b/c it’s not part of the mib… Is it causing a problem or were you just curious?

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Admin Status of '9' for interfaces

Posted Nov 17, 2016 03:42 PM

Hi Jason,

It isn't causing any issues. I have a script which processes these values and it kept complaining that it couldn't find a matching value for '9'. After a bit of looking around I realised this relates to the OID and the valid values are just 1-3. It seemed odd why it wouldn't just remember the last state it had before communications went down. Now that i know a 9 means 'unknown' I've just added some extra code to deal with that! No more problem now! Just seemed odd not to have all the values in the enumerations (even if they are internal use ones!).

• 4.  Re: Admin Status of '9' for interfaces

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 17, 2016 03:55 PM
      |   view attached

Yeah, I would think the same (that it would show the last known status), but I guess it wasn’t designed/coded that way.  I looked through some really old info to see if I could dig up as to why this was done but came up empty handed ☹

• 5.  Re: Admin Status of '9' for interfaces

Posted Nov 17, 2016 04:06 PM

Thanks for trying anyway. Curiosity just got the better of me.