Test Data Manager

• 1.  NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker

Posted Nov 16, 2016 08:13 AM

Hi,

Can i use my own sequence for nextval function in fast data masker, if so can you please help me

For example i want to my column data to be start with '444444' using nextval function

Regards,

Kumar

• 2.  Re: NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 16, 2016 11:40 AM

Hi Satish,

In Fast Data Masker (FDM), there is no functionality to be able to specify a custom start value for a sequence using the NEXTVAL function. Every time the function is used in the masking process, the current sequence value will be incremented by 1, and the record updated with that value.

What you could do as a workaround is use SQL statements to manually set the sequence to a specific value 'X' as part of a PRESTEP option in FDM. The masking process will then mask the first record with value 'X+1', and so on. A brief description of the Prestep option is given here: Masking Options - CA Test Data Manager - 3.8 - CA Technologies Documentation 

If you wish to have the functionality of specifying a start value for the sequence, please submit an enhancement request by creating an 'Idea' on the TDM Community page here:

https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-devtest-community/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Bca-test-data-manager%5D

(Content -> (Actions) -> Create an Idea)

Please also include the business need for this enhancement, how soon you would need it, and the potential business impact if it is not provided.

You and other community users will be able to 'vote' for this enhancement request. It will be reviewed by product managers at frequent intervals who will decide if the enhancement will be added to the product and when. You will be  notified of the enhancement request's progress by the Idea post being marked as 'Under Review', 'Currently Planned' , or 'Delivered' by CA.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 3.  Re: NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker

Posted Nov 16, 2016 11:47 AM

Satish,

An additional note: For the workaround to well..."work", you need to make sure that the sequence is not incremented by any other application while you are performing the masking job from FDM.

Thanks,

Sameer

• 4.  Re: NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker

Posted Nov 17, 2016 01:36 AM

Hi Sameer,

Thanks for your reply, i have done the same as you mentioned. But still i havent getting user sequence number to my column

The below options i have used once prestep has completed 

1. AUDIT - ALL

2. AUDITDIR - my file path location

3.AUDITFILE - mycsv

4.CROSSREFCONNECT - given my connection_name.txt

5.CROSSREFTABLE - nextval_ref

In masking table i have given my oracle sequence name "nextval_seq" which was already created in prestep.

But still my eno column getting values 1,2,3...not user defined

Can you please help me if i am missing any step. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Satish

• 5.  Re: NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker

Posted Nov 17, 2016 02:38 AM

Hi Sameer,

To provide you more information, i am using fast data masker 4.6.200.6

Regards,

Satish.

• 6.  Re: NEXTVAL function in Fast data masker

Posted Nov 17, 2016 01:38 PM

Hi Satish,

It will be ideal for us to investigate the files you are using to see what's going on.

Please open a support case by going to https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/newhome or calling CA Customer Care using one of these numbers http://www3.ca.com/us/support/customer-assistance.aspx.

Along with the support case, please attach the masking map file, the options file and the prestep SQL file that you are using.

Thanks,

Sameer