Release Automation

• 1.  configuring timeout in RA plug-in for Jenkins

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2016 09:18 AM

We are using RA plug-in for Jenkins v 5.0.8 and Jenkins 1.6 (same behavior with Jenkins 2.0)

We hat set the "timeout' field in order to cancel the jenkins job in case that the RA job hangs undefinitely. But it does not seem to work: whatever the value set, the Jenkins job never stops.

Has somebody already used the "timeout" parameter in the RA plug-in Jenkins job ?

What are the prerequisites to make it work ?

Thanks.

• 2.  Re: configuring timeout in RA plug-in for Jenkins
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 18, 2016 10:49 AM

I just tested this and it is working, but just perhaps not in the way you expect it to.

The primary job of the Jenkins job is to create and/or use a deployment plan and create/initiate a deployment. So I believe that is what the timeout is concerned with. To test the timeout value I configured a Jenkins job to create a deployment plan that has a pre-plan step that lasts longer than the timeout, the Jenkins job stops once it hits the timeout. 

So once the Jenkins job finishes its tasks and initiates the deployment, at that point it is done and it has no control over the RA deployment so it just continues to monitor the deployment until it sees a success or failure from RA.

• 3.  Re: configuring timeout in RA plug-in for Jenkins

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2016 02:16 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for these infos.

Indeed, I expected it to monitor the duration of the deployment ...

A new idea to create if does not exist yet.