CA Client Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Permissions needed to archive a package

• 1.  Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 10:42 AM

What permissions are needed in security profiles for a user to be able to archive a software package?  The profile has (CVRWXD) to Software Package.

• 2.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 10:55 AM

Those permissions should be sufficient to archive the package, but if the action is being denied, perhaps you need to look at the permissions on ‘upstream’ objects, i.e. software groups the package is a member of. Bear in mind that package archival also requires a write to all the groups the package is a member of, including ‘All Software Packages’, so the user would require write privileges to those groups as well. I’m not sure, but archival may also require a write to computers the package is deployed to so that also could be an issue.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Principal Services Consultant

Tel: +1-731-676-4223

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

<mailto:Stephen.McCormick@ca.com>

• 3.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:11 AM

The software is not a member of any software group other than ALL SOFTWARE.  It has permissions errors on packages which have not been staged/deployed also.

• 4.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:13 AM

What are the users permissions on ‘All Software’?

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

• 5.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:16 AM

Class Default (VRWXD)

• 6.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:20 AM

Just a hunch, try giving him C as well. May not make a difference but stranger things have happened.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

• 7.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:29 AM

I don't see a 'C' permission for ALL SOFTWARE.

• 8.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:39 AM

• 9.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 11:58 AM

I found that I had to give access to the AD Group to the Program Files (x86)\CA\DSM\SD\ASM\LIBRARY folder.  The AD group tied to the ITCM Security Profile does not have direct access to logon/manage the DM.  Shouldn't ITCM allow it based on the security profile?

• 10.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 12:12 PM

Checking the permissions on the library folders was going to be my next suggestion. ITCM does not control those permissions. For a user to create, delete or modify the source of a package, they must have sufficient permissions in windows to access the library file structure.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

• 11.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 12:20 PM

Before adding the file permissions, the user could create a package, add a source, procedure, and seal.

When archiving, it has a permission error.

They are able to delete a package, just not archive.  I found a work around, but want to make sure there isn't something wrong within ITCM.

• 12.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 18, 2016 12:23 PM

I should add, it is when archiving with 'purge files' checked.

• 13.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2016 10:02 AM

The access to the SD Library is a very old quirk of the product! If the SD Agent on the computer running the DSM Explorer is configured for Nos-Less download then I believe no direct library access is required.

• 14.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package

Posted Nov 19, 2016 10:46 AM

Yes that is true, but this is specifically related to a user making changes to a package (in this case archiving) via the GUI. Nothing to do with Agent download of a package from the SS.

I do feel that this could probably quite easily be corrected by having the API (and therefore the service running on the DM) perform the actions on the library on behalf of the user.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

• 15.  Re: Permissions needed to archive a package
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2016 08:38 AM

Hi Bill,

I could reproduce the error message "Copy Error: Access Violation [SDM080003] when trying to archive a package.

Using Process Monitor on Domain Manager I could see that process sd_apisrv.exe has an ACCESS DENIED on rsw.dat file of the package using the logged user on the console :

The solution is to give NTFS Full Control access to this user under C:\Program Files\CA\DSM\SD\ASM\LIBRARY (recursively) 

Thanks.

Regards

Jean-Yves