CA Service Management

• 1.  swing box procedure & multitenancy

Posted Nov 20, 2016 01:23 PM

Hi Team,

We have r12.6 in our environment and we are planning to upgrade the same to 14.1. We are planning to use the swing box procedure to upgrade the system, however, I wanted to understand if there are any changes that needs to be incorporated as the environment has the multi-tenancy feature enabled. Also would it be possible to do the upgrade tenant wise or can it be done at one go itself.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: swing box procedure & multitenancy
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 21, 2016 03:17 AM

Hi Pushpith,

There is nothing to worry about. The Swing box method caters for multi-tenancy and there are no special considerations or actions that need to be done.

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: swing box procedure & multitenancy

Posted Nov 21, 2016 04:06 AM

The abillity to migrate one tenant at a time would be very handy.  I am helping an MSP client with a large number of tenants to plan an upgrade and it would be useful to be able to migrate tenants gradually, rather than doing them all in a 'big bang' one weekend.  I see there is an Idea already open for this - please vote for it!

Single Tenant Migration Procedure 

Cheers,

James

• 4.  Re: swing box procedure & multitenancy

Posted Dec 01, 2016 02:17 AM

Hi Team,

Thanks for your reply.
    As said earlier, I'm planning to use the swing box approach and below are the steps which i'll follow.

Current Env(r12.6)
    Production:
    1 Application Server
    1 DB Server
    Conventional Configuration

New Env(r14.1)
    We are planning to have 3 environment:

1. Swing Box(sb) Env (DB & APP in same server)
    2. UAT Env (DB & APP in separate server)
    3. Production Env (DB & APP in separate server)

Steps:

1. Freeze Admin Changes in current env (Note: Not the user changes like ticket logging etc)
    2. Take MDB Backup of CurrentEnv.
    3. Restore the backup in the SB Env and follow swing box approach
    4. Vanilla installation of 14.1 in UAT & Production env
    5. Take the backup from step 3 of the SB env and restore in the UAT Env.
    6. Run pdm_configure in the UAT System
    7. Compare the HTMPL customization of r12.6 with r14.1 and incorporate the changes in r14.1 HTMPL files
    8. Test the new UAT System.

Lets assume this approach will take >1 month.

Now,

Issue I'm facing:

9. During go-live i'll have to take the MDB backup of current env and follow the swing box approach once again. This is done as we haven't freezed user changes like ticket logging etc in the current r12.6 environment.
    Customer wants all these data in the new env as well.

So is there any way to incorporate new changes(delta) of current env r12.6, instead of re-doing the whole swing box approach.

10. Post following the SB approach, i'll attach the SB mdb onto the prod env and run pdm_configure.
    11. Put all HTMPL customization from UAT env to Prod Env.

Please let me know if the steps seems fine.

• 5.  Re: swing box procedure & multitenancy

Posted Dec 02, 2016 01:41 AM

Hi Pushpith,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to take deltas. Best would be to redoing the swing box method to retain the data as you already planned.

Kind Regards,

Brian