DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

• 1.  When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 24, 2016 05:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm running Spectrum 9.4.2.x and I've noticed that sometimes even though a network container (branch office) is disconnected from the rest of the network, it stills appears green rather than red. The rollup condition is red for this container, and all devices within the container are unreachable. 

Any insights as to why it doesn't turn red or under what conditions it becomes red?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?
    Best Answer

• 3.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 25, 2016 12:49 PM

Thanks, that'a a useful tip.

However, I think that having the upside down triangle to indicate the rollup condition is beneficial. It would be no less beneficial if the parent container turned red when there were no active connections (i.e. active routed paths) to anything within the container. Having a few critical alarms within the container is not the same as indicating that the site is down.

Is there any information on the criteria for a Network container to become red? 

• 4.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 02:31 AM

Hello Doron,

Please have a look at the following Spectrum Documentation.

Rollup Alarm Attributes - CA Spectrum - 9.4.1 to 9.4.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

This should answer your question

Regards,

Dencel

• 5.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 04:42 AM

Folks, the question isn't answered. Roll up conditions and container conditions may be mutually exclusive.

I appreciate the links and your time, but I feel that something is misunderstood in my query. When a branch office has no active routes to the Assurance Server, meaning you can't even ping it from the active Assurance Server, I've seen cases where the container is still green. This seems fundamentally wrong.

The roll up condition doesn't matter, yes it's red for that branch office but an admin looking at the topology map can rightfully assume that some switch went down at the branch office but that the office is still accessible.

Mirroring the roll up condition to the container's own condition may be disingenuous. If a few major alarms are fired off on a remote site, it doesn't mean the site is in Critical condition. If it's entirely inaccessible then it must be in critical condition since it can't be monitored.

Is there any documentation which explains how a container becomes critical, assuming you don't mirror the roll up condition?

• 6.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 05:18 AM

Could you please have a look to see if this is more what you want to achieve?

Broadband Service Container Models - CA Spectrum - 10.1 to 10.1.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Have you considered using a Global Collection to reflect the health of a Branch Office?

• 7.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 05:45 AM

Hi Dencel,

That may be a good resolution, I'll check it out. Thanks!

How can grouping all devices of a branch in a GC be a good method of monitoring site health? Our help desk usually looks at the topology view to notice connectivity issues.

• 8.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 08:05 AM
      |   view attached

What version of Spectrum are you running?  It may be a problem with the xml:

http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1052031.html

Cheers

Jay

• 9.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 28, 2016 08:52 AM

Hi Jay, I'm running 9.4.2.1 (which isn't affected by that KB). Besides, my issue isn't that the rollup condition isn't being reflected to the Oneclick explorer.

The issue I'm seeing is that the container's condition (the entire container, such as LAN or Network) doesn't consistently turn red when the container is disconnected from the rest of the network. 

As a matter of design, if a container is inaccessible to the Assurance Server by ICMP and SNMP, should the container's condition become Critical?

• 10.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2016 12:36 PM
      |   view attached

So everything inside the container goes down but the container doesn’t change color? Yes, I would agree, the container should change.  Here’s some info on how it works…if it’s not doing this, then you should probably open a case:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-1-and-10-1-1/en/managing-network/modeling-and-managing-your-it-infrastructure/ca-spectrum-intelligence/condition-versus-rollup-condition

Cheers

Jay

• 11.  Re: When does a Network container's condition become Critical?

Posted Nov 29, 2016 04:12 AM

Thanks. 

Does it matter if the site is down because all the WAN interfaces are disabled logically, or if  physical links go down?