Clarity

• 1.  Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Nov 28, 2016 12:57 PM

Hello,

When hyphen and other characters are present in string fields, weird characters are shown on portlets.

How to fix this?

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Nov 29, 2016 12:22 AM

This should not happen if the data was manually entered on the string field via Clarity UI. If the data was imported via XOG then it's an encoding issue. You need to XOG using UTF-8 encoding, otherwise the text shows as ? or some weird characters.

Leo.

• 3.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Nov 29, 2016 09:27 AM

XOG is not involved here. Project Name looks fine in the UI but in portlets shows weird characters. Users are asking to fix it. Any thoughts??

• 4.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Nov 29, 2016 10:10 AM

I've seen this sort of thing in older versions of the application when a screen redisplays after a query.

Perhaps you need to post a screenshot and your version number / browser in use etc in order to illustrate what is happening rather than expecting people to just guess.

• 5.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2016 05:37 PM

I have also seen this in older version when the application didn't come up cleanly after a restart. The resolution we found was to restart the application servers, one at a time (to reduce impact to end users) and it resolved.

• 6.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Dec 02, 2016 03:21 PM

My apologies for not being specific. The issue of weird characters is only when exported to excel data only.

• 7.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Dec 05, 2016 03:58 AM

Rajani wrote:

When hyphen and other characters are present in string fields, weird characters are shown on portlets

Rajani wrote:

The issue of weird characters is only when exported to excel data only.

Ok, so now you are just saying contradicting things it seems ; not sure anyone can GUESS the answer without some more (a lot more) information from you.

For example post a series of screenshots that demonstrate the problem, post some raw data (SELECT from the database), tell us your version of CA PPM, your browser version (does it happen in all browsers?), your excel version (does it happen to all users?)... even with all that there is no guarantee anyone can help... but theres a lot more chance than just asking vague questions with no detail! 

• 8.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2016 04:24 PM

Hi Rajani:

You certainly know how to build suspense. Your post may be administratively closed soon unless you respond with more details; we are quite curious now how your issue appears and is resolved. The CA PPM Community cares and would like to assist you if possible with this issue.

Kind Regards,
    Damon (DocOps Team)

• 9.  Re: Portlet showing weird characters

Posted Dec 07, 2016 04:47 PM

I did not think people will take this question so seriously. This task lost its priority on my plate with other important items. 

I have dealt with the issue of weird characters before (many years ago) with export to excel data only but could not remember the fix. User who brought this to our attention does not care now. 

Please ignore this question for now. My apologies for keeping you all in suspense, :-).