Clarity

• 1.  Applying Scenarios

Posted Dec 02, 2016 07:18 AM

Looking at Scenario Planning. How can you apply a scenario to be your new Plan of Record?

• 2.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 08:36 AM

Hi Steve.

Here are the steps to set you new plan of record:

1. Open Home, and from Portfolio Management, click Portfolios.
    2. Open the portfolio for which you want to designate a plan of record.
    3. Click Plans.
    4. Select the desired plan and click Set Plan of Record.

Now you can see more info about this in the following link:

Portfolio Management Scenarios Guide Release 14.2.00 

Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Posted Dec 05, 2016 04:55 AM

Thanks, but I wasn’t referring to Portfolios.

I’m looking at Capacity Planning scenarios. How can I apply these?

• 4.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 05, 2016 09:03 AM

Hi.

I'm not sure what you want to do, you mean set a plan of record for cost plan in a specific project, i  think that is not possible.

Maybe is a good idea, to explain with all the details (Steps), maybe with that we can help.

• 5.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 09:13 AM

Hi steve.denny:

You can use a capacity planning scenario for analysis before making actual changes. It might help here to refer to these as Resource Capacity Planning Scenarios.

Applying these scenarios is often known as performing what-if analysis. These scenarios answer questions such as, "What if we add 20 resources?" Based on your criteria, the capacity planning scenario changes the demand data that appears. You can shift investment start dates or change team allocations. Examine possible changes before making any edits to your plan of record data.

As a resource manager or project manager, use capacity planning scenarios to address the following sample situations:

• You have 20 direct reports and must frequently review the resource deployment status. You want to identify resources that are under-allocated or over-allocated for possible reallocation to new projects. To decrease the allocation on one investment and increase allocation on another investment, use a scenario.
    • You share resources with other departments and must have visibility into the demand on those resources. You receive requests for new projects that require staff. You want to see what effect approving new investments has on demand and capacity across resource OBS units.
    • You want to see the effect on resource allocation and assignments when project dates are moved in or out.

To learn more about Resource Capacity Planning Scenarios, see: Manage Resource Capacity - CA PPM SaaS - 15.1 - CA Technologies Documentation. Use the Versions menu to select your current release of CA PPM.

Hoping this gives you a place to start and helps with your goals.

• 6.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Posted Jan 27, 2017 11:31 AM

Hi Steve,
    As far as I know, you can't.  Once you figure out a scenario that you want to go with, you'd have to return to the "real data", the plan of record, and implement the changes you had in the scenario.

• 7.  Re: Applying Scenarios

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2017 01:05 PM

That's right. You can compare against the plan or another scenario. You might like certain parts from scenario A and other data from scenario B. Any changes made in scenario  mode do not affect your real data. They  just show what might happen to help you make better predictive planning decisions.