DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  HDB.exe using High CPU

Posted Dec 02, 2016 05:19 PM

Can anyone tell me if they ever encountered  a situation where the robot HDB.exe suddenly started using up CPU. I have monitored all three of the robot processes and none of them ever seem to use much in the way of CPU. But today one of our customer servers was reporting HIGH cpu utilization and the process that was using it all was the hdb.exe. If someone has noticed this happening in their environment, do you know what was causing it?

TIA

• 2.  Re: HDB.exe using High CPU

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 02, 2016 09:03 PM

Usually we see this when there is a logmon probe that is monitoring a very busy log file or a very large number of log files

or with ntevl doing the same.

usually this is because these probes are updating the last position to a local file.

What other probes are is on the problem machine?

• 3.  Re: HDB.exe using High CPU

Posted Dec 05, 2016 10:31 AM

Logmon was it.   Thanks

• 4.  Re: HDB.exe using High CPU

Posted Dec 05, 2016 10:29 AM

Thanks Gene, Hit the nail on the head.  We were running an extensive log monitor routine on this system.

Thanks

Again

• 5.  Re: HDB.exe using High CPU

Posted Dec 05, 2016 04:24 PM

Yes, been bitten by that too -so very easy to create a profile that monitors *.log to get around log file names that vary by date or size. Works great in testing with a couple files. Not so great when that directory has 10k log files in it. 

The other thing that has bitten me is someone creating a profile that was set to run every 5 seconds. 400ish files will take a CPU core to 100% with that combination just looking for changes.

-Garin