Test Data Manager

• 1.  Publish data for selective column only

Posted Dec 05, 2016 04:50 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to publish data for selective column(s) instead of publishing data for the entire table?  In other words, if a table (Table A) that I've already generated synthetic data for has a new column that got added, and therefore I would need to generate data for that column, but I don't want to republish the data for all the other columns, can I publish to target for the new column only (Col3new) without affecting existing data in the table for other columns (Col1 and Col2)?

Ex: Table A

Col1         Col2         Col3new

A               11            1AB

B               12            2AB

C               13            3AB

Thank you,

Tam

• 2.  Re: Publish data for selective column only

Posted Dec 05, 2016 05:08 PM

Hi Tam,

1. Right-click on the relevant data pool, and click "Actions for Registered Objects".

2. Right-click on the table of interest in the left pane (in your case, Table A), and click "Maintain Table".

3. For the columns that you DO NOT wish to publish data for (Col1 and Col2 in your case), select the value "ALL" for the "Exclude" column.

4. Save your changes and publish the data.

Let me know if this works as expected.

Cheers,

Sameer

• 3.  Re: Publish data for selective column only

Posted Dec 05, 2016 06:32 PM

Thank you Sameer.  After reading your solution, which I didn't know about so thank you for sharing that, I realized I wasn't very clear in my question. 

Still using the example above, I'd like to know if there is a way to go back and update the rows that I've already generated from a previous publish with data from the new column. 

Publish 1 - Publish to Table A for Col1 and Col2

Col1         Col2         

A               11            

B               12            

C               13            

Publish 2 - Publish to Table A for Col3new only but updating the rows from publish 1, not inserting new rows with only Col3new.

Col1         Col2         Col3new

A               11            1AB

B               12            2AB

C               13            3AB

Thanks,

Tam

• 4.  Re: Publish data for selective column only
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 06, 2016 10:28 AM

Hi Tam,

Thanks for clarifying the scenario.

There are still multiple ways of doing this based on how the records in the first two columns were generated. However, this method will work.

1. Make sure one of the columns COL1 or COL2 is defined as a Unique/primary key in the table.

2. If we assume the initial data is part of the data pool definition, then when you add the new column you should see something like this:

3. Add the appropriate data to the new column COL3, and publish the data to target.

4. When you attempt the publish you will see a warning/error message:

Click "Update All Tables" on this dialog and continue with the publish.

5. You should see the expected results in the target table:

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sameer

• 5.  Re: Publish data for selective column only

Posted Dec 06, 2016 01:04 PM

Thank you Sameer!  Will try this and see if it works for what I'm needing.

Tam