CA Service Management

• 1.  Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 03:48 PM

We are currently trying to install Jaspersoft reporting 6.2.0 on a server that originally was used for BOXI 4.1 SP 3.  The documentation makes mention of needing to use a separate server if you want to run both but it doesn't specify if you can reconfigure an BOXI server to be suitable for Jaspersoft.

Is it possible to reuse the box without completely wiping it or is it only possible through the addition of a server?

• 2.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 03:56 PM

Hi Richard,

Are you working with a standalone BOXI server, or does it have Service Desk installed on it as well?  If Service Desk is not installed, it should be as simple as uninstalling BOXI (preventing it from starting might also work, but I am not sure) and then installing Jaspersoft.  Jon_Israel or Raghu.Rudraraju may have additional insight into this, and whether there are additional steps to be taken if Service Desk is installed on the BOXI server as well.

Regards,

Marty

• 3.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:07 PM

Thanks for your quick answer!  We thought the same kind of process of preventing BOXI from running would work but ran into a lot of configuration issues.  I just thought I may have missed a document along the way that explained the steps.

Edit: We are running BOXI on a separate server from SDM

• 4.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:15 PM

Hi Richard - sorry for my delay in response on this one.  The info Paul provided is correct.  Jasper is resource heavy (as any reporting system usually is) and thus we recommend putting it on its own server.  Additionally, as a side note, there is no real "migration path" from BOXI to Jasper.  By that, we mean that there is no mechanism of exporting BOXI reports and importing them into Jasper.  Unfortunately if you have customized reports in BOXI, you will need to rebuild those from scratch in Jasper using Jasper Studio.  What most customers have done is run BOXI and Jasper side by side in parallel as they rebuild the custom reports in Jasper, and then they disable the reports in BOXI once that same report is published in Jasper. Out of the box we do provide quite a few reports to give you the basics.  Lastly, the only other thing I wanted to mention is that in order to use Jasper, it is a requirement to be at 14.1.03 (CP3 patch level for 14.1) otherwise Jasper cannot connect to SDM to run reports.

With that, here are some links to help you out a bit with Jasper:

CA Business Intelligence - Home - CA Business Intelligence JasperReports® Server - 6.2.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Documentation | Jaspersoft Community 

Getting Started with CABI JasperReports Server r6.2.0 - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:55 PM

Hey Jon,

I consider anything less than 4 hours an amazing response time for a community forum.  And to get three answers like this just shows how awesome the community support really is!  Thank you for the thorough response and the documentation.  If I find anything in my experience I will definitely post it here.

• 6.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2016 03:59 PM

Although technically possible to  have Jasper and CABI on the same server, it is not recommended for a couple of main reasons:

1.  Performance

2.  Both applications use Tomcat as a web server so if no configured properly, there could be a conflict

I would strongly recommend a separate server that meets the system requirements to install Jasper 

Configure CABI JasperReports® Server r6.2.0 for CA Service Management - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies D… 

• 7.  Re: Trying to upgrade from BOXI 4.1 SP 3 to Jaspersoft 6.2.0

Posted Dec 06, 2016 04:06 PM

Thank you for the speedy response as well!  We will definitely take this into consideration as we implement this in test and will most likely use two in production given this information.