ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  IAS IP's stored for CA-7

Posted Dec 07, 2016 01:17 AM

I am an OPS/MVS person, we have an issue where once CA-7 has started and stored the IASAGENT DNS addresses as IP straight IP's, support will move a server and change the IP address of the server where the agents reside.  This of course causes issues.  I have been asked to develop an automated process to take care of this.

My first question is, is it possible for the IAS agent DNS addresses to be stored in memory as the DNS instead of the resulting IP?  This would take care of our issue.  We have less than 50 agents, so if a call was made to the DN server each time they are accessed it is not going to produce any significant overhead. 

Otherwise, it looks like message "CAIAS1105I Unknown agent xxxxxxxxxx attempting to connect" can be captured by OPS.   I can ping the agent server and if there is a way to display the IP that is stored in CA-7 memory they can be compared them to see if they have changed, then issue the reconfig command.  My understanding is that the reconfig command can be only be issued 5 times before the CA-7 task has to be cycled, is this correct?

Any other thoughts to fix the situation would be appreciated.  Otherwise I will create to the process to issue the reconfig.  it would be beneficial if there was a way to display the IP addresses stored in memory.

Thanks

Chris

CSX Railroad

• 2.  Re: IAS IP's stored for CA-7
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 02:13 PM

Chris,

I am Roderick Woods from CA Support. I understand the challenge you are facing with dns server / ip address changes that affects CA 7 scheduling to the agents on the servers.

IAS store the ip address of all the servers defined in the IASAGENT file. There is currently no way to display the ip address that are stored.

You referenced message "CAIAS1105I Unknown agent xxxxxxxxxx attempting to connect". This message does not mean IAS can not connect to an agent. This message means an agent attempting to communicate with IAS and it is not defined to the IASAGENT definition file. In other words, IAS does not know this agent.

The /IAS,FUNC=RECONFIG command should be issued when the IASAGENT definition file has been changed (adding or deleting an agent) or if the ip address has changed for one of the defined agents. This command should only be issue when needed and not on an interval timer.

If needed, please contact me via a support case and we can have a discussion.

Others out in the community that has faced this challenge, please provide us your input.

-Roderick