DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  How to change the events & logs retention period in UIM

Posted Dec 07, 2016 07:11 AM

Hi Guys,

I want to know from where i can increase and decrease the retention period of events and logs in UIM.

Also, I want to know how do i can maintain the old events historical data in NAS and Database?

Thanks & Regards,

IK

• 2.  Re: How to change the events & logs retention period in UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 07, 2016 07:21 AM

Hi,

Logs are done on a per probe basis.

You can usually set both the loglevel and logsize in the GUI.

Some probes may not have them so using raw config may be needed.

the values are usually

loglevel =

logsize =

For production support does not suggest raising the loglevel on most probes past loglevel 3 as any higher may cause a performance issue.

Also usually  the largest logfile size you want to use in production is 25000 (25 MBS)

Some probe are known to have issue when the logfile size gets too high.

As to alarm history retention this is controlled by the nas probe.

There are two settings for this.

Please see the nas documentation for transaction log and nis_bridge

The nas Setup Tab - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: How to change the events & logs retention period in UIM

Posted Dec 09, 2016 07:22 AM

Hi Gene,

Lookslike my question is not clear. What i am looking for is a way to see the old events on the console and the way to see the 6 months history of events.

I want to know where i can setup retention to keep only 6 months old data with in the NAS and the database.

Thanks,

IK

• 4.  Re: How to change the events & logs retention period in UIM

Posted Dec 11, 2016 05:44 PM

You need to take a look at the the Transaction Log Tab in nas probe and adjust the settings there

Knowledge Base Articles 

The nas Setup Tab - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation 

Couple of ways to query for the old events is to use the History option in old IM console and query for historical events 

Other way is to query the NAS_ALARMS table (active alarms), NAS_TRANSACTION_LOG table (transaction history) and NAS_TRANSACTION_SUMMARY table (transaction summary) from the SQL DB.

If your expectation is to get this information directly from the UMP , this is something which is not possible out of the box, but you can use the "CA UIM HTML Alarm Console" custom probe from marketplace which might be helpful (I haven't tried it though). Just a note, this probe dosent work if you are on 8.4.7

CA UIM HTML Alarm Console