Clarity

• 1.  Distribute Actuals of one KTLO Project to Series of Projects

Posted Dec 08, 2016 01:32 PM

How can I distribute these hours from one Project (it is an keep the lights on Project) to other Projects in %.
    For example a Project  "Base keep the lights on" has one task to which everyone charge time.
    This should have its 5%, 3% and 7% of its time distributed to "Project 1", "Project 2" and "Projects 3"  respectively and the remaining % should remain in the ""Base keep the lights on".

Also we should be able to change this after a period. For example, after first quarter if one of the Project has ended, then we need to change the distribution %. But the % we used till then should remain the same and should use that if we run reports from Jan through March. So we will require to maintain the history of changes.

Any way to do this ?
    Thanks a lot
    Mohan

• 2.  Re: Distribute Actuals of one KTLO Project to Series of Projects

Posted Dec 09, 2016 02:13 AM

Just thinking about it...

If that were going to be done the hard way manually all the timesheets having entries for the KLO project would have to be adjustest and processed as far you would normally do with timesheet.

You can (or somebody) can create a process which first queries the timesheets that have entries for the KLO projecct. The creates XML for XOGing the adjustment timesheets with the desired distribution. adequate error handling and logging.

You could also create a project or custom object field which contains the distribution which is taken into account in the process so that it can be changed in the GUI or changed at a given date with another process.

Technically very possible.

• 3.  Re: Distribute Actuals of one KTLO Project to Series of Projects

Posted Dec 09, 2016 09:07 AM

Thanks for the idea Urmas. I agree with you that. If we are able to make adjustments in Timesheet, we can easily save a lot of time in avoiding corrections or re-coding the custom Reports. Not sure if anyone has done the timesheet adjustment using XOG and if they have the code for that. That will be a great help. Also, another thing I am afraid about is when we do these adjustments using XOG and if there comes a necessity to adjust that particular timesheet, things become more complex.

But I guess there has to be a trade off somewhere.

Thanks again

Mohan

• 4.  Re: Distribute Actuals of one KTLO Project to Series of Projects

Posted Dec 09, 2016 10:29 AM

Hi Urmas,

On second thoughts. I am not sure if it is a good idea to distribute 8 hours among 15 Projects using percentage. The data will not look accurate. I was thinking of doing as a whole. Total hours of that month of the KLT being charged to various Projects. That way we will have lesser errors.

Thanks for your support.

Mohan

• 5.  Re: Distribute Actuals of one KTLO Project to Series of Projects

Posted Dec 09, 2016 11:21 AM

The thing is that if you do not take the hours off something and add to to something they are going to be double.

I agree doing the the adjustments on every time entry would be a pain - that is why I said the hard way.

On the other hand you do not have an option the hours are on assignments and only summarized to project level.

There are no project level actuals unless you only use effort tasks. Effort tasks would be fine as target tasks.

Were it feasible just to have a custom field which would collect and display the number of hours you would like to have relocated and use that in reporting and leave the orginals intact?