DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Posted Dec 10, 2016 11:42 AM

I have been playing with 10.3 for a while but have not tried to create an agent until now. Part of my agent build is completing a list of tasks including modifying the PMI script to include other PMI metrics and found that there are no scripts in the wily/tools.

Looking at the 10.3 DocOps I found no reference o listServer or configurePMI but did find the need to create a custom service. Which means in a cluster with a bunch of servers/JVMs I will need to manually create the custom service for each JVM.

Was this a mistake in the deployment? Can I use the PMI scripts from 10.2?

• 2.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2016 11:21 AM

The scripts are located in the 'tools' directory.
    I would recommend that you use the modified ones from my previous post about using these.

The ones provided with the agent will only instrument apps that are running when you run 'listServer' or you will have to manually create/modify 'apply_properties' file.

• 3.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2016 12:02 PM

Hi Steve:

Marking this as answered since Hiko has provided the new location and other recommendations. Please indicate if this was helpful and if you have any additional questions on reviewing this information

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Posted Dec 13, 2016 12:27 AM

FYI, the PMI scripts are NOT in the agent 'tools' directory as built by the 10.3 agent.bin file.

Also neither script is mentioned in the 10.3 docs.

I will try to find Hiko's stuff but from what the 10.3 doc talks about is not setting up a Custom PMI like the old scripts but controlling it via the IntroscopeAgent Profile to a Full PMI implementation on WebSphere...

From what I see in the docs they are also changing the metric names in the Investigator tree to be under "WebSphere" tree instead of WebSpherePMI. There goes all the metric groups...of course I may be wrong since the DOCOPS are so hard to use...

But you can go ahead and mark this answered...

Thanx

• 5.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2016 02:53 PM

I apologize for the confusion.

I meant to say that you can download and utilize my updated JACL script to configure your agent, PMI, and startup class.

Please do a search for ‘setPmiModules'. If you cannot find it, please send me a DM from your inbox and I will get the file to you.

You can use any version of ‘listServer' and ‘configurePMI' from a previous version of the agent if you don't have one with 10.3.

• 6.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 16, 2016 11:18 AM

Here is the JACL script: setPmiModules_apm95 

• 7.  Re: PMI Scripts gone in WebSphere 10.3 Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2016 08:16 AM

Dear Steve:

Each day, Support does what it can to make sure that APM Admins like you can find the answers you seek. That includes making sure Community posts get prompt responses and Support documents any gaps/ clarifies areas of confusion.(As well as much more) I sent your note directly to the Tech Doc folks to get their attention. You can do the same by adding comments to the official documentation. You can always reach out to me as well to ensure any documentation issues get taken care of. 

Thanks

Hal German