DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

• 1.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:21 AM

That setting eliminated the runtime exception in the failure to load the Mbean server.  Thanks!  However, I still get no JMX stats in WebView (as a matter of fact, the JMX node does not even appear in the Investigator under the jboss agent in-question).

In my log I see:

12/08/16 11:04:13 AM EST [DEBUG] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Checking IntervalHeartbeats.
    12/08/16 11:04:13 AM EST [WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Heartbeat: Agent, Behavior: Introscope JMX Protocol Adaptor has been running for excessively long time (159502 ms).

12/08/16 11:04:13 AM EST [DEBUG] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Unable to handle Connection class by name : org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.jdk6.WrappedConnectionJDK6

My APM java agent profile has the following jmx entries:

introscope.agent.jmx.enable=true

com.wily.introcope.agent.jmx.syncWithAllMbeanServersForcibly=true

com.wily.use.platform.mbeanserver=true

introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=jboss*service=invoker*type=pooled,jboss*service=TransactionManager,jboss.j2ee*plugin=pool,jboss*plugin=cache,jboss.jca*service=ManagedConnectionPool,jboss.jca*service=WorkManagerThreadPool,jboss.mq*service=DestinationManager,jboss.mq*service=MessageCache,jboss.mq*service=PersistenceManager,jboss.mq.destination*service=Queue,jboss.mq*service=Topic,jboss.system*service=ThreadPool,jboss.system*type=ServerInfo,jboss.web*type=Cache,jboss.web*type=Manager,jboss.web*type=GlobalRequestProcessor,jboss.web*type=ThreadPool

Any other ideas?

• 2.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:39 AM

Can you try with a blank jmx filter and see if anything is coming through?  A restart is required for that change I believe.

• 3.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 08, 2016 11:47 AM

I will give that a try now.  I was thinking even if my filter was wrong, I would at least see the JMX node in the tree within WebView, or am I incorrect on that?

And by blank you mean leaving the filter in with nothing after the '=' as opposed to commenting it out all together?

introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=  or # introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=

My WebView Tree:

• 4.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:00 PM

Am I correct in thinking you're using Java 6 in the application? What version of the agent are you using?

• 5.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:34 PM

The Jboss instance is running against jdk1.8.0_45.  We have APM Java Agent 10.2 installed.  If you are referring to the following message, I am not sure where 'jdk6' could be coming from.

12/08/16 11:04:13 AM EST [DEBUG] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Unable to handle Connection class by name : org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.jdk6.WrappedConnectionJDK6

• 6.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 09, 2016 08:34 AM

Hiko,

I plan on opening a case with support but before I do, have you seen this message before and do you know what it may mean?  My searches have come up short on this.

12/08/16 11:04:13 AM EST [WARN] [IntroscopeAgent.Agent] Heartbeat: Agent, Behavior: Introscope JMX Protocol Adaptor has been running for excessively long time (159502 ms)

• 7.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 09:33 AM

From what I can find out, the heartbeat (which is the pinging between agent and EM) got stuck.  Are there any other warings or errors after that message about clamping being reached?

• 8.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2016 11:30 AM

I have not seen this event before. Please let me know what the ticket number is so I can keep track of it.

• 9.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:12 PM

By blank you would have the property set like this in the profile

introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter=

• 10.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 08, 2016 12:35 PM

'introscope.agent.jmx.name.filter='  is what I went with.  After restart, still no luck.

• 11.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 01:00 PM

Hi Darren,

Verify that the below and if nothing below helps, then please open a support ticket.

1. Verify that JBoss has these settings: Knowledge Base Articles 

2. Verify that the JBoss Console can see JMX metrics

3. Verify that WebAppSupport.jar is in core/ext directory of the agent.

4. Verify that JBoss application logs are not listing any JMX errors

5. Verify that your JBoss application does not require special permissions for JMX

If the items above don't show any smoking gun, then please open a Support Ticket and upload:

1. Introscope Agent logs

2. JBoss application logs

3. Enter the url of this thread so that the Support Engineer can see what was done.

Thanks,
    Matt

• 12.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Posted Dec 08, 2016 01:05 PM

Thanks Matt, I will review #1, the KB articles in the link.  As for #2, the jboss admins do not have the jmx console app deployed which makes this more difficult, I was hoping they did and went down that path yesterday.   I already verified #3 and #4.  I will chase down #5 as well.

I may end up opening a ticket, thanks for all the advice.

• 13.  Re: JMX MBean Server Error in Java Agent Log (Not Seeing JMX Metrics)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2016 11:39 AM

I split this into a new thread on not seeing JMX Metrics. Because this is being pursued in a case, marking as answered.