Rally Software

• 1.  What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 12, 2016 02:29 PM

We have a lot of completed stuff at team levels and it is getting very confusing for some users.  Are you creating archive initiatives and moving stuff there, deleting items, or what?   Just wondering if someone has a solution that works for them.  Rally#archive

• 2.  Re: What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:13 AM

Rob, we struggled with this in my subscription as well. We found that it became less of an obstacle as our implementation matured because people began to naturally ignore Accepted (or whatever end state you use) work items. We also noticed that our SAFe and scrum teams don't experience the problem in the same way that continuous flow teams do because they focus on stuff by timebox, which makes it easy to disregard the contents of past timeboxes.

Ultimately we've chosen to keep work items in place and not to archive anything except for defunct Projects, which we keep in a special section of our project hierarchy. We mostly do that instead of closing projects because the contents of a closed project aren't searchable, much as I wish otherwise. Closing a project would be a nice, natural archival method if it weren't for that limitation and there's been quite a lot of chatter about it in Agile Central Ideas. The most recent discussion that I chimed in on was at https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D4060 . Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 14, 2016 12:37 PM

Same here at CA - we don't archive things, we just move them to Released and don't worry about it anymore at that point.

• 4.  Re: What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 14, 2016 05:13 PM

I guess we are very "Rally" format here.  We have initiatives (projects) assigned to teams >>then features>>stories.  When users go to their team portfolio items they were seeing everything ever assigned to that team - completed or in progress.  Even though they could filter based on status and or release - which is what I suggested they - either can't or won't do that.  I have now relied on taking completed work items (initiatives, features, stories, etc) and moving them to an archive location at the portfolio level - away from the team.  I guess I question even keeping them there - I think we can delete them but we will see.  We are not mature in Rally - only about a year in at this point - but we have been using Agile scrum for about 7 years.  

• 5.  Re: What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 15, 2016 07:34 AM

One of my colleagues just put together a set of best practices for archiving. I tried to attach it directly to this thread but it created it standalone. I tagged it "archive" so hopefully you can find it

• 6.  Re: What are people doing to archive old stories/features and project in CA Agile Central? 

Posted Dec 15, 2016 12:35 PM

Hey ficsu02 FYI you can just add the link to the document here, like this: Archiving Data in CA Agile Central (formerly Rally) 

RobRooney1362410