DX NetOps

• 1.  SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Posted Dec 14, 2016 07:46 AM

Hi All,

I have Spectrum 10.1.1 installed on Windows 2012 in my environment.

Sometimes in some situations there are changes made on SNMP configuration on the device end and all of a sudden SNMP communication is lost ? Is there any way Spectrum can alert/notify that SNMP communication is stopped and we can notify the Networks team instantly.

• 2.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 14, 2016 08:01 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Guneet,

When then SNMP config changes you should get an alarm noting that communication is lost within 1 poll interval.  That alarm is essentially telling you that something is wrong.

Are you expecting Spectrum to “automatically” update with new credentials if it changes on the device?  If so, that’s not a possibility.

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi Jay,

No I am not expecting to get it automatically updated.

But I don't get alarm in my environment. Are you referring to "Management Agent Lost" Alarm.

• 4.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 14, 2016 03:31 PM
      |   view attached

You don’t get any alarm?  You definitely should… Have you customized any of the fault isolation events?  Ie. 0x10701, 0x10d35, 0x10daa etc

• 5.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Posted Dec 15, 2016 10:48 AM

Hi Jay,

Only 0x10d35 is enabled in my environment. But this one occurs when the Network device is really down or Spectrum is able to reach it. SNMP communication happens.

Event 0x10daa is disabled, which has "Management Agent Lost". Will Enabling this event help in this scenario.

• 6.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Posted Dec 15, 2016 10:02 AM

Hope Management Agent Lost alarm must help you on this .

• 7.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Posted Dec 15, 2016 10:49 AM

Can we increase the poll cycle for this alarm only ?

• 8.  Re: SNMP Communication Lost Alarm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2017 09:02 AM

Hello Guneet

I have a couple of questions here. 

1. What type of SNMP config changes are you referring to that cause Spectrum to lose contact? 

2. What do you mean by "Event 0x10daa is disabled?" - it is not recommended to modify any Fault Isolation events (some as Jay mentions, 0x10701, 0x10d35, 0x10daa etc) as it can have a negative impact on Spectrum's ability to properly assert alarms. https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1221549.html 

~Jay V