AnsweredAssumed Answered

COPY IDMS issues in COBOL

Question asked by SchulzP on Dec 14, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 by ChuckHardee

Development question; I have programmers that are changing their COBOL compile option from DYNAM to NODYNAM. In order to do this, they will need to continue calling some programs dynamically using what they call Call Identifier. Currently the code has Call 'Literal' (CALL 'DBDCS001' USING...) After doing some searching we found that the code in question is in IDMS being brought in with the following statement:

COPY IDMS DBDC-IDMS-RESTART-ROUTINE.

I have found this code in IDMS by running DIS MOD DBDC-IDMS-RESTART-ROUTINE. in IDD. I see the code in there and I think it would be smart to make the change. 

I have a couple questions:

1) Is this module custom code from my organization or does it come with IDMS?

2) The Display shows 40 or 50 programs that it is USED BY. I doubt that I need to get them all recompiled at once, but we need to be aware that the next time they recompile they will pick up this change. I am not sure that the same development team owns all of those programs.

Since I have to change the call to a Call Identifier, it makes sense that I would create that identifier in an include that is being used in this code. I have found the following statement that has some variables used in the Restart Routine. 

COPY IDMS SUBSCHEMA-CONTROL.

A couple more questions:

3) Where do I display this SUBSCHEMA-CONTROL? I can't seem to find it / don't know if it is a record or what.

4) Is this IDMS-supplied code? Is there any danger in making the change to it?

-paul

Outcomes