DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  EP Agent REST API - Log File Adapter

Posted Dec 15, 2016 06:21 AM

Hi

I was wondering if anyone at CA or in the community had developed a configurable log file adapter that could plug in to the REST API via the EP Agent ?

We have a use case to develop an LFA capability for applications that run in our cloud environment. As such, we don't want to use the traditional LFA which runs as a stateful plugin via the EPAgent as we don't want to put an EP Agent in a container if possible.

We want a lightweight LFA process that can run in a container wuith the application log files, and can hook into the REST API of an EP Agent that we will deploy at the server/node level (as opposed to inside every container). So we would have one/many lightweight LFAs on a node, hooking into the REST API of a single EP Agent.

Is anyone in the community or within CA APM looking at a similar idea and can share information about this ?

• 2.  Re: EP Agent REST API - Log File Adapter

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 15, 2016 04:33 PM

Hi Dave,

We have examples of using the REST APIs on CA APM Dev (http://bit.ly/caapm_dev). Have you looked at that?

• 3.  Re: EP Agent REST API - Log File Adapter

Posted Dec 16, 2016 03:00 AM

Thanks Hiko, I haven't looked at this before, will check it out. 

• 4.  Re: EP Agent REST API - Log File Adapter
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 15, 2016 07:43 PM

Hello Dave,

I developed by now 2 different rest plugins (one to get the tweets for a certain filter, other to retrieve performance from a MySQL database), both in java and sending the info to the REST EPAgent.

I'm willing to help you on this if you want.

Best regards,

Harold

• 5.  Re: EP Agent REST API - Log File Adapter

Posted Dec 16, 2016 03:00 AM

Thanks for that Harold. We are looking at the art of the possible right now, so any help/advice we can get will be great.

I spoke to CA yesterday about this requirement and we will pick it up again with them mid January, after the holiday season etc. Our aim is to get a user-configurable lightweight LFA that can run in a container and deliver metrics into APM whenever a pattern-match is detected by the LFA.