CA Service Management

• 1.  Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 15, 2016 01:57 PM

Do I need to change some configuration /parameter  in SDM 12.7 if MS SQL 'sa' password is reset?

This is for already running SDM  environment and due to some organization's policy MS SQL sa password needs to reset as previous sa password is not known/lost. does resetting MS SQL sa password affect SDM connection to DB as well.

If yes please help with some procedure/document for updating the configuration, services which require restart, etc.

Thanks,

Ashutosh,

• 2.  Re: Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 15, 2016 02:25 PM

Hi Ashutosh,

This will only affect when pdm_configure is run, or when an mdb_patch or update needs to be put in place with a patch for SDM.  The best bet would be to run pdm_configure after that password is changed, and ensure the new password is properly set there.  I think thats really all you need.

Hope this helps.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 16, 2016 12:59 PM

Thanks a lot Jon..

• 4.  Re: Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 16, 2016 02:00 AM

I'd suggest you run pdm_configure as far as the page that asks for database credentials.  Hopefully 'sa' does not come up as the default database user ID, since using the 'sa' account for an application login would not normally be considered good practice.  If 'sa' is not the current database userid, then cancel out of pdm_configure.  However, if 'sa' was used, then enter the new password and continue.  You might also need to look at the CA BI 'CMS' database if it is on the same SQL host, and if you have PAM then also check where the PAM databases are hosted.  If these were all installed using best practice then each application should have its own account which should be visible in the database 'Security' properties in SQL Management Studio; but if not then you may have to re-run their configurations to change the password.

Cheers,

James

• 5.  Re: Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 16, 2016 01:00 PM

Thanks a lot James, will ask partner to follow the steps ....

• 6.  Re: Resetting MS SQL sa password

Posted Dec 16, 2016 02:41 PM

You don't need to use the SA user, it's the out of the box local admin for SQL server.  Whenever I need to run pdm_configure I have our DBAs temporarily grant mdbadmin the SQL sysadmin role, and then once I'm done have it removed.  This way you can use mdbadmin as the db admin for pdm_configure.