Release Automation

• 1.  How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Posted Dec 16, 2016 01:45 PM

Hello All,

I have one scenario where I have to work on Windows popup. So for that I have designed one script using AutoIt tool which is performing some basic steps (Say: Opening the C drive and Creating one text file.) The extension of the script is .au3. Than I have compiled this AutoIt (.au3) script to (.exe file) as .au3 script is not executable under CA tool with any of the actions. I have kept this .exe file into my target machine.

Now I am trying to run the .exe file using action: "Run Command Line" where I am getting the result as success and no errors, but when I am looking into the target machine the action is not executed i.e there is no text file created.

Also when I am running that .exe file directly without using any action its functioning properly and the text file is creating through that.

Can someone please help me in getting the solution for this.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 16, 2016 01:55 PM

Hi Vipul,

I don't believe RA supports interacting with desktop popups. So I don't think you will be able to do what you're looking to do. However, you may improve your chances of getting this to work by configuring your Nolio Agent service -> Log On tab and put a check in the checkbox for "Allow service to interact with desktop".

If this still doesn't do the trick then:

a. maybe others here can offer some advice; or

b. maybe you could provide some more information as to who, what, why, when, and how this interaction is needed so that we might be able to come up with an alternative approach. 

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:41 AM

Hello Gregg,

Thanks a lot for your quick response and support. Just adding few more points to your question that why this interaction is needed.

The answer to question is like: Production Support Team has a scenario like during Deployment of their application they need to delete some of the files which are present in the particular drive (C:\Some folder\.text file). Also as per their requirement we need to work on one of the tool BMC Migrator by taking the RDC to this tool and perform some of the actions in the tool like logging into the tool, Checking the version of the tool, adding some of the servers etc. I am attaching some of the snap shots just for your reference so that you can also get the idea and suggest me some alternative approach.

Mean while I will try with the Nolio Agent service.

Please refer the snap shots and let me know if any more information is required.

Thanks a lot Gregg in advance.

• 4.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Posted Dec 20, 2016 03:54 AM

the requirement to interact with the UI is always a show stopper for us, when it comes to implementing an automated deployment process for the application. when this happens, we always try to find a way to interact via an API or maybe a silent install mode of the application.

• 5.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Posted Dec 21, 2016 06:15 AM

Hello Michael,

Many thanks for your suggestions and help.

• 6.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2016 09:52 AM

The deleting of files can be done via an RA action. As for the UI interaction, Michael is correct and an area where you will typically need to either use:

• A web ui if available (via selenium). though this is the last resort if I were doing it.
    • An action pack that does the same things you need to do.
    • A set of commands that you could run from the command line to do the same things you need to do.
    • A set of rest/web api calls that would do the same things you need to do.

I could not find any action packs for this BMC Remedy Migrator. Doing a search on the web for BMC Remedy Migrator command line or BMC Remedy Migrator rest did yield some results so I am hopeful that you could find commands or web/rest api's that would do what you need.

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 7.  Re: How to execute the AutoIt script through Action

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 29, 2016 08:40 AM

Hi Vipul,

Did the answer from gregg answered your question? If it did please mark it as the right answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.

With Kind Regards

Dirk