Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

• 1.  Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 16, 2016 06:10 PM

Would like to have a custom list that asks for an initiative name at run time and returns a list of all tasks that are associated with the User Stories that are tied to that initiative.

What would the Query field need to contain to accomplish this?

If entering data at runtime isn't supported, is it possible to write separate custom lists with hardcoded initiative names?

What would the Query field need to contain in that case?

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 16, 2016 08:52 PM

Not sure why you are looking for this app. Using custom list you can actually view the tasks under an initiative and also filter any item using the filter control. Just select portfolio item as initiative.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 08:32 AM

Thanks. When I do that I can see the hierarchy of Initiative, Feature, User

Story, and Task on the screen but when I export the only data in the CSV

file is the Initiative.

Is there a way to export the tasks associated with an initiative?

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM, subhendu.chattopadhyay <

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 12:40 PM

I don't know any easy way but can suggest a workaround - 

1. Use custom list to filter all user stories under an initiative - Query  (Feature.Parent.FormattedID = "Initiative ID")

2. Tag all the stories

3. Create another custom list for task and filter for the tag created earlier

4. Export the task

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 07:29 PM

When you click the "Export" button, it gives you a choice:

• Export Portfolio Items...
    • Export Portfolio Items and User Stories...
    • Export Portfolio Items, User Stories and Tasks...

Choose the last option to have Tasks included in the exported data.

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 03:57 PM

This custom app may be useful:

GitHub - RallyTechServices/custom-grid-with-deep-export: Custom Grid App with a deep export option 

Add it as a Custom HTML app, and in the App Settings you can specify "Initiative" as the top level work item. Filter on the initiative(s) you're interested in. There is an export option that allow you to export Portfolio Items, User Stories, and Tasks.  Once exported, you can easily filter the data to contains just the tasks.

• 7.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 04:43 PM

On the Custom HTML App settings page I only see Title, Project, and HTML.

Where do I specify "Initiative" as the top level work item?

Thanks.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM, JohnStreeter <

• 8.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:20 PM

After you paste in the HTML code from github and save the Custom HTML app, there will be a separate "Edit App Settings" option (in addition to the normal "Settings") in the app's gear/tools menu.

• 9.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:27 PM

If the HTML is generic can you send it to me in your email reply?

If it's not generic, where can I find it in github?

Thank you.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM, tyke <

• 10.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:33 PM

Michael, 

Just click the Gear Icon and click Edit App Settings:

Then, select Portfolio Item Initiative from the dropdown, and click Save:

• 11.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:50 PM

This is what I see when clicking the gear icon when inside the Custom HTML

app.

I don't see a *Portfolio Item Initiative *option.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 5:33 PM, JohnStreeter <

• 12.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 05:58 PM

Michael,

You actually have to click the gear on the app, not the page.  Those gear icons are pretty close, but note the difference below. 

Make sure to click that lower gear icon, then click Edit App Settings to get to the correct screen.

• 13.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 06:09 PM

I think I am clicking on the gear icon for the app and not the page. See

screenshot #1:

Clicking on Settings displays the Custom HTML app page with only the three

fields Title, Project, and HTML.

See screenshot #2:

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 5:59 PM, JohnStreeter <

• 14.  Re: Is there a way to write a custom list that returns all tasks for a given initiative?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 19, 2016 07:34 PM

Here's a link to the HTML code:

custom-grid-with-deep-export/App.txt at master · RallyTechServices/custom-grid-with-deep-export · GitHub 

Cut & paste this code into your Custom HTML app's "HTML" window and save it. Now your application's "gear" icon will show the "Edit App Settings" option.

If you're not familiar with using the Custom HTML app, here's a link to the help page that have some additional info:

Custom HTML | CA Agile Central Help